Board index » The Property Pin Website - Open Development » theideapin.com - Open Dev

User name Policy - theideapin.com (Vote & Discuss)
Real Name registration only 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Pseudonym registration Only 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
A mix of Both (User Discretion) 85%  85%  [ 50 ]
other (I'll post my idea in detail thanks...) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 59
 Post subject: Real Name or Pseudonym Policy?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:39 pm 
Nationalised

Should we break with tradition and work with Real Name registration or should we have open mixed policy? Discuss and vote as you like. All ideas welcome.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post subject: Re: Real Name or Pseudonym Policy?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:16 am 
Old Time Landlord

Hi all,

Great idea, really in favour of this ideas site - the right idea, done the right way, hopefully! On the naming thing, I'd be in favour of user discretion, but tilting towards openness... Just seems healthier that way. My one comment would be that it's probably best that everyone who does so is taken to be doing it in a personal capacity, unless otherwise stated, not a professional one, myself included.

Looking forward to bashing around ideas,

Ronan
---
http://ronanlyons.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:25 am 
Nationalised

I was thinking if the "experts" that they must be open but users could participate user pseudonym if they feel they only need to make a small contribution. its a difficult one. there is great liberty at using pseudonym and protection too. This site will be less forum format and more group play so there can be no room for inter personal spats (I hope :o ).

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:40 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I wanted to go with the third option as some people may be in a position where using their real name could compromise their employment or other aspects of their life but I believe that the option should be there for users to switch from pseudonym to real name but for fairness and openness the opposite switch should not be available.

I also believe that there is a real risk of malicious users registering a "real" name other than their own to cause mischief or worse so the use of real names would need extra confirmation of bone fides which could in itself make the idea unworkable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:47 am 
Property Magnate

If a comment is a good one and sparks debate what does it matter who it came from. I believe anonymity is one of the features that attracts people to register and as far as I can see it hasn't been abused to any significant degree. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:51 am 
Nationalised

Open Window wrote:
I was thinking if the "experts" that they must be open but users could participate user pseudonym if they feel they only need to make a small contribution. its a difficult one. there is great liberty at using pseudonym and protection too. This site will be less forum format and more group play so there can be no room for inter personal spats (I hope :o ).

I went with a mix of both - with a proviso!

When people are registering, a quick pro and con for both options should be stated at the username stage with an indication that those registering with real names will be given priority/weighting in a moderation scenario. Those anonymous users get the freedom to say what they want without recourse to who they are. Those using real names get preferential moderation to allow their reputation to be respected.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:16 am 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
What Goes Up... wrote:
Those using real names get preferential moderation to allow their reputation to be respected.

Why... We've never worked it like that on the 'pin and there's been no issues. Why change something that is working perfectly well?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:18 am 
Of Systemic Importance

The Unwelcome Guest wrote:
Why change something that is working perfectly well?

What do you mean by "working" and "working perfectly well"? Essentially, this probably comes down to what you see as the reason or goal of this new website.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:20 am 
Nationalised

provost wrote:
Why change something that is working perfectly well?

What do you mean by "working" and "working perfectly well"? Essentially, this probably comes down to what you see as the reason or goal of this new website.

I mean that people have generally been civil to each other, real name or otherwise and there has been no need to institute a bias in the moderation one way or the other.

I don't know what you think this is going to be, looks like another forum to me! :nin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:22 am 
Of Systemic Importance

If it's going to be another forum with a large influence from this forum, then I think it should just use this forum or copy how this forum works.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:29 am 
Nationalised

provost wrote:
If it's going to be another forum with a large influence from this forum, then I think it should just use this forum or copy how this forum works.

This isn't as straight forward as a forum its a bit more feature rich by the looks of the engine we are using. Possibly leading ot more self organisiation, any forum features will be for specific discussion around idea and concepts under categories. You couldn't hope to replicate thepin :mrgreen: nor would you want too :twisted: ye bunch of ingrates :x

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:33 am 
Too Big to Fail

There's no way to enforce a "real name" policy, what you get at best is a "real sounding name".

There's no reason at all why someone should be given preferential treatment based on the username they used. They're just a way of identifying individuals.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:36 am 
Nationalised

What Goes Up... wrote:
Those using real names get preferential moderation to allow their reputation to be respected.

Why... We've never worked it like that on the 'pin and there's been no issues. Why change something that is working perfectly well?

Well it seemed like the concept would be a mixture of "experts" and contributors:

Open Window wrote:
I was thinking if the "experts" that they must be open but users could participate user pseudonym if they feel they only need to make a small contribution. .....

- with the "experts" being open about who they were and their area of expertise. That makes the ground rules different from the Pin.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:41 am 
Under CAB Investigation

With sharper on this, there is no practical way to verify a "Real Name".

Anonymity is at the core of all web discussion, some people on the pin have already chosen to forego that right, and I think probably carry more weight in duscussions as a result.

I guess it depends on the format. If you were going for a magazine or blog type format, with regular feature writers (Comical or Deperate maybe :x ), maybe certain featured commentators could be asked to forego anonymity. Hard to say for sure without knowing the format of the site, right nowe the ideapin.com is giving me links to find enamel pins 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:51 am 
Nationalised

What Goes Up... wrote:
- with the "experts" being open about who they were and their area of expertise. That makes the ground rules different from the Pin.

EDIT: How is this different to the 'pin anyway, Mr. A / Karl (Mortgage Broker) / RonanL (Ronan Lyons - DAFT) are all pretty open...

Board index » The Property Pin Website - Open Development » theideapin.com - Open Dev