Board index » The Property Pin Website - Open Development » theideapin.com - Open Dev

User name Policy - theideapin.com (Vote & Discuss)
Real Name registration only 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Pseudonym registration Only 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
A mix of Both (User Discretion) 85%  85%  [ 50 ]
other (I'll post my idea in detail thanks...) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 59
 Post subject: Re: Real Name or Pseudonym Policy?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:12 am 
Too Big to Fail

I'd also add that people who throw about their credentials the most tend to talk the most crap. People who are knowledgeable and persuasive are usually evidently so from their arguments. It should be upto the reader to decide on credibility not the moderators or admins.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:24 am 
Nationalised

The Unwelcome Guest wrote:
What Goes Up... wrote:
- with the "experts" being open about who they were and their area of expertise. That makes the ground rules different from the Pin.

EDIT: How is this different to the 'pin anyway, Mr. A / Karl (Mortgage Broker) / RonanL (Ronan Lyons - DAFT) are all pretty open...

Nope - no different - except the "Rules & Posting Guidelines" state:
Quote:
User name / Anonymity Policy

The use of your real name is prohibited De facto.

thepropertypin.com is intended to be a friendly and informative forum resource, but we request that anonymity be maintained on behalf of our members. With this in mind, when registering as a new user we ask you not to use your real name, or any pseudonym that clearly identifies you. If you breach this policy, your account may be suspended or deactivated.

Furthermore, we recommend that you refrain from divulging personal information on thepropertypin.com that could identify you. This includes both forum posting and private messaging. If you have any queries regarding the use of your real name or concerns regarding posting of personal information, please contact the administration team.

User names are reviewed on a case by case basis.

The Pin is the only place I post using a pseudonym and I did it to respect the "culture" of the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:50 am 
Property Magnate

I would prefer a pseudonym policy but with the option to put your real name in your profile.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 pm 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
What Goes Up... wrote:
What Goes Up... wrote:
- with the "experts" being open about who they were and their area of expertise. That makes the ground rules different from the Pin.

EDIT: How is this different to the 'pin anyway, Mr. A / Karl (Mortgage Broker) / RonanL (Ronan Lyons - DAFT) are all pretty open...

Nope - no different - except the "Rules & Posting Guidelines" state:
Quote:
User name / Anonymity Policy

The use of your real name is prohibited De facto.

thepropertypin.com is intended to be a friendly and informative forum resource, but we request that anonymity be maintained on behalf of our members. With this in mind, when registering as a new user we ask you not to use your real name, or any pseudonym that clearly identifies you. If you breach this policy, your account may be suspended or deactivated.

Furthermore, we recommend that you refrain from divulging personal information on thepropertypin.com that could identify you. This includes both forum posting and private messaging. If you have any queries regarding the use of your real name or concerns regarding posting of personal information, please contact the administration team.

User names are reviewed on a case by case basis.

The Pin is the only place I post using a pseudonym and I did it to respect the "culture" of the forum.

Yeah, we know! We had to do that to make the forum user friendly or idiot proof, you choose...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:19 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

We could take a leaf from the model used in The Economist

wiki
The Economist does not print by-lines identifying the authors of articles other than surveys and special "by invitation" contribution. The editors say this is necessary because "collective voice and personality matter more than the identities of individual journalists."(what a beauiful sentence that is spirit and structure) anywyas Authors refer to themselves within articles as "your correspondent" or "this reviewer."

Pseudonyms : to ensure the collective voice and personality of the pin remains intact
Real Names : By invite if someone wishes to submit a thread under a real name without identifying their pseudonymn.

could even start a TPP Economic Intellegience Unit - opinion, ideas, feature, reviews and major articles all with contributors real names (if they wish).
I jest not...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Bostonorberlin wrote:
could even start a TPP Economic Intellegience Unit - opinion, ideas, feature, reviews and major articles all with contributors real names (if they wish).
I jest not...

Now there is one for ideaspin.com. Considering the amount of information from the pin being regurgitated in the mainstream media this should be a runner.

Back OT I am growing less enamoured with the idea of real names until the bonefides of the contributors are established. I am coming more to the opinion that pseudonyms ahould be used with the option to sign articles with your real name or include your real name in the sig subject to moderation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:22 pm 
Private Tenant

A discussion forum where people use their real names might be more vulnerable to a libel action. If, for example, a discussion becomes very heated and personal comments are made about a user (this happens on the Pin sometimes and I would rather not link examples) the owner/moderators of the site along with the user who made the comments could be liable - as the user about whom the comments were made would be identifiable.

The nature of discussion forums is one of fast, loose and free commentary. Sometimes moderators delete posts but it takes time for them to do so. In general, the anonymous aspect of most internet forums creates a shroud to protect the individuals who are posting and the site itself.

The threat of a libel action may sound far-fetched but it really only requires one annoyed/highly sensitive person to create a lot of hassle and expense for the site.

I do not post very often - primarily because I have no financial expertise/knowledge (or even sense). However, I have been lurking on the Pin for a long time and, for what it's worth, my view is that any discussion forum should be kept anonymous. "Columns" or articles with opinion/information are a different matter, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:20 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

sharper wrote:
I'd also add that people who throw about their credentials the most tend to talk the most crap. People who are knowledgeable and persuasive are usually evidently so from their arguments. It should be upto the reader to decide on credibility not the moderators or admins.

On the forums of moneysavingexpert people use either their real names or a pseudonym, although people are advised to consider carefully the implications of posting information about themselves on the web. They also ask people who are posting as an expert/member of a particular profession, eg a mortgage adviser, to post something along the lines of;
Quote:
I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct.
Take advice with a pinch of sea salt!

It's not compulsory but it does remind users, especially those who are new to internet forums, that just because somebody online claims to be someone or something that it may not be true.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:06 pm 
First Time Buyer

While this might work on a commerce site like Amazon, which has your credit card details, on this site you have no way of verifying people's real names. I could post under Michael O'Leary if I wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:55 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

What Goes Up... wrote:
Those using real names get preferential moderation to allow their reputation to be respected.

Why... We've never worked it like that on the 'pin and there's been no issues. Why change something that is working perfectly well?

ain't that the truth! if you want to use your real name then take what you get, if you don't like a post then report it. obviously it means that some people can hit you with personal stuff but if you fear that then reg anonymously to begin with.
personally never had a problem in this respect, a few comments i don't agree with, one or two that annoyed me a lot but all in all plain sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:00 pm 
Single Home Owner

Codify wrote:
I could post under Michael O'Leary if I wanted.

My God! Why would you want to do that!?

You'll start charging people to quote you next! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:05 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

Zarathustra wrote:
Codify wrote:
I could post under Michael O'Leary if I wanted.

My God! Why would you want to do that!?

You'll start charging people to quote you next! ;)

...or maybe just the ones who talk shit.

/gets coat etc.../

Board index » The Property Pin Website - Open Development » theideapin.com - Open Dev