Board index » The Property Pin Website - Open Development » theideapin.com - Open Dev

Post subject: Re: Idea - website for people emigrating
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:48 am 
Nationalised

Hobo Sapiens wrote:
The very idea of people organizing to help others emigrate is tragic, it's as if the country hasn't moved forward at all since 1847. Do we really want to see our children leaving?

I thought I was angry already but now I'm just mad. Seriously, WTF?

There is a new generation of people in this country with no experience of emigration, some sort of support network would go along way towards helping them find their bearings in another country or culture. Obviously few want to leave if they can help it, but emigration (often forced) has been a trend in this island for centuries, sometimes we get intervals were the trend reverses such as the the seventies or late 90s/early noughties. It's back to business as usual.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:22 am 
Real Estate Developer

One piece of advice I'd give anyone planning on leaving in the next 6 months is apply for you character reference from the gardai NOW. They'll probably try to fob you off and tell you to go to some central office in the midlands, but its you're local station that needs to issue it. The central office doesn't deal with the public or issue certs.

After that, many countries outside Europe require a chest x-ray (for TB) and an AIDs test for a work visa.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:19 am 
First Time Buyer

I re-emigrated in 2006 back to the us after a few years in Celtic tiger Ireland. I did it because I felt out of place in the "new" Ireland. I did see a downturn coming but nothing like this mess.

Emmigration is not as final as it used to be. The world is a much smaller place than it used to be. With mobiles and PDAs etc it is so cheap and easy to stay in contact that is definitely easier than when I first came here. I think given the new circumstances in ireland that young people should be encouraged to go away for a few years and see just how small Ireland really is. Hell it is better than drawing the dole. Now that irelands young people are finally freed from the peer pressure of "having to get on the property ladder" they can and should go broaden their minds.

FM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:50 am 
Back Home with Mammy

I left Ireland for Montreal 3 years ago, mostly to be with my Canadian girlfriend, but house prices were also a factor. I bought a 1070 sq ft 2-storey apartment very close to the centre of Montreal for about 170K Euro and have never looked back.

In case anyone's considering it, Canada is a very liberal policy when it comes to immigration visas and has been relatively immune to the recent downturn.

Board index » The Property Pin Website - Open Development » theideapin.com - Open Dev