Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dunne ducks out of D4 and heads west
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:55 pm 
Single Home Owner

Personally I think that 2000 sq ft is about right and wouldn't really want much more. Back in the day, I spent a fair bit of time with a family in one of the embassy roads in D4 and my experience is that even when you have 6000 sq ft you tend to use far less of it because your habits (reading, lots of tv, cooking etc) determine which rooms you use the most, not what any Architect decides or how the house 'flows'.

This family had at least two large reception rooms that they never used simply because they liked to be together in the evenings. Most families I know in relatively normal sized houses don't even use their full 1200 sq ft or whatever, simply because the kitchen is where the family congregate. Only when guests come around are some reception rooms used. You can see that in lots of houses where the kitchen (if it's large enough) has acquired a tv and a sofa while the living room acquires cobwebs. I also think there is a law of the universe that says that your kids will lose interest in Pool the day you install a games room.

A cheese room would be marvellous though :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:11 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

jasonking wrote:
Personally I think that 2000 sq ft is about right and wouldn't really want much more. Back in the day, I spent a fair bit of time with a family in one of the embassy roads in D4 and my experience is that even when you have 6000 sq ft you tend to use far less of it because your habits (reading, lots of tv, cooking etc) determine which rooms you use the most, not what any Architect decides or how the house 'flows'.

This family had at least two large reception rooms that they never used simply because they liked to be together in the evenings. Most families I know in relatively normal sized houses don't even use their full 1200 sq ft or whatever, simply because the kitchen is where the family congregate. Only when guests come around are some reception rooms used. You can see that in lots of houses where the kitchen (if it's large enough) has acquired a tv and a sofa while the living room acquires cobwebs. I also think there is a law of the universe that says that your kids will lose interest in Pool the day you install a games room.

and there is me with my aspirational floor plan of a 60 sq. mt. two bed cottage which I can extend sideward, backward and upward if I discover after moving in that I need the extra space.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:12 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
jasonking wrote:

What about putting all the seating on the equivalent of a sushi conveyor belt to force you to flow through the house?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:17 pm 
Single Home Owner

Col. Max Pyatnitski wrote:
jasonking wrote:

What about putting all the seating on the equivalent of a sushi conveyor belt to force you to flow through the house?

You're on to something there. And the ghosts of various estates could leap out at you from behind doors as you progressed through the house before you go through a door marked 'soft landing' with a 50 ft drop on the other side of it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:18 pm 
Single Home Owner

8)
dipole wrote:
jasonking wrote:

and there is me with my aspirational floor plan of a 60 sq. mt. two bed cottage which I can extend sideward, backward and upward if I discover after moving in that I need the extra space.

Yeah, well in case you get the wrong idea, I was an interloper with an interest in a daughter of the house, not a part owner 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:19 am 
Too Big to Fail

Surprise as Dunne tries to drop US bankruptcy bid

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 27643.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:09 pm 
Nationalised

Also known as "Dunne discovers US courts harder to fool than Irish ones."

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:35 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Mantissa wrote:

Dunne discovers that being caught lying to a US court has consequences !

"Mr Kelly said Ireland’s “reputational capital” had been damaged by “chancers” such as ex-Anglo Irish Bank chairman Seán FitzPatrick, who had been abetted by “buffoons” such as former financial regulator Patrick Neary, Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan and the Taoiseach." - Irish Times 13th Jan 2009

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." (Catherine Aird)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:41 pm 
Single Home Owner

Mantissa wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:29 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

He is a slimy one insnt he. I doubt the US courts will continue if he wants to drop it, unless someone in the justice dept is really pissed off at him for his "forgetfulness".

"The not-so-hidden subtext behind all this yelling for debt forgiveness in the meeja is that the infantile and greedy debtmonkeys want all the debts to magically disappear, but they also want to retain ownership of the assets - and any income streams from those assets in the future". - Sidewinder Apr 13 2011

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:45 am 
Nationalised

Hmmm .. what's the latest on David Drumm ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:02 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Desperate for his dealings with Gail to remain secret.
It's intriguing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:36 pm 
Nationalised

GameBlame wrote:
Desperate for his dealings with Gail to remain secret.
It's intriguing.

Indeed. One can only presume there's something in there he doesn't want Chris Lehane to hear about.

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:12 am 
Property Magnate

mr_anderson wrote:

It appears Drumm is influencing others.....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 31687.html

Drumm's $1.5m bill spurred Dunne's bankruptcy u-turn -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:27 am 
Nationalised

Punter wrote:
mr_anderson wrote:

It appears Drumm is influencing others.....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 31687.html

Drumm's $1.5m bill spurred Dunne's bankruptcy u-turn -

Quote:
"As far as Sean is concerned, there is no sense in it. While his financial resources are finite, Nama and the Ulster Bank have deep pockets. Nama can pump money into pursuing him in America for an eternity thanks to the war chest it has courtesy of the Irish taxpayer," the source said.

God Bless him.
In his time of need, it is the Irish taxpayer he puts ahead of himself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next