Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » NAMAwatch (Pt. I)

Post subject: Re: Namawinelake
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:44 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Mantissa wrote:
Can we get back on topic?

Sorry..

As for NWL. There is always a decay curve of relevance with bloggers. Especially highly focuses crisis bloggers. Once the crisis moves on all that can be said has been said and they usually spiral into irrelevance,,

I think NWL has discovered the hard way that it does not matter how true and accurate ones analysis is it does not matter a rats ass in the bigger scheme of Irish politics and Irish political culture. Its a cute hoor culture with a cute hoor electorate so honest competent politicians only get elected by accident. Or when all other avenues have been exhausted.

Hence the anomaly of Garret the Good. An experiment which was tried once, never to be repeated.

So NWL in its prime will be useful as a primary source for future historians ( as will this site). But that's about as far as its influence will go.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:04 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Coles2 wrote:
Oh? I don't think you're right about that. The most obvious attempt to change the voting system occurred occurred before the 1948 election (3 seater constituencies increase from 15 to 32, - described by Tim Pat Coogan as "a blatant attempt at gerrymander which no Six County Unionist could have bettered.")

Not to derail the thread further, I'm sure we'll get to discuss this elsewhere, but I remember the first time I got a school holiday due to it being a polling day was the last time ( of three) that FF tried to change the voting system to single member FPP constituencies. This was in 1968. A bit before your time I think.

That particular attempt at a constitutional stroke was started by the men in the mohair suits in the mid '50's. They get full marks for perseverance in the face of repeated referenda rejections. They only got distracted from attempting electoral hegemony by the headcases up the North when some of the key mohair men ended up in the dock at the Arms Trial...

En bananrepublikk as they would say in Norway..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:01 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

Mantissa wrote:
Can we get back on topic?

There's not really much left to say on the topic, based on Andy's quotes. Cringeworthy if a commentator wants to be taken seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:40 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

As I already pointed out, NAMA's existence was anti-free market (in numerous ways); it's patently absurd to then argue that its disposals are fine because "that's the free market".
Always key to highlight the hypocrisies and lies of the neolibs, so no problem with the NWL tweets.

(i.e. company profits are directly fed, in part, by government deficits)

BANKS DON'T LEND RESERVES
As confirmed by the Bank of England

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:50 pm 
Nationalised

A final word on this off topic thread...
jmc wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
Oh? I don't think you're right about that. The most obvious attempt to change the voting system occurred occurred before the 1948 election (3 seater constituencies increase from 15 to 32, - described by Tim Pat Coogan as "a blatant attempt at gerrymander which no Six County Unionist could have bettered.")

Not to derail the thread further, I'm sure we'll get to discuss this elsewhere, but I remember the first time I got a school holiday due to it being a polling day was the last time ( of three) that FF tried to change the voting system to single member FPP constituencies. This was in 1968. A bit before your time I think.
Ah yes. That's not a bad example. And after losing the referendum Boland redrew the constituencies in 1969 to give FF a significant electoral advantage. And in 1973 FG and Labour came to power and set about redrawing the constituencies again but this time to benefit themselves! Brendan Halligan's book 'Our Worst Preference' is an interesting read as it details his experiences as part of that 'redrafting', and also the serious flaws that he sees in the STV system.

Brendan Halligan wrote:
"As General Secretary of the Labour Party I was deputed to work with him as an adviser and this gave me a privileged insight into the design of a constituency system intended to ensure that both parties would maximise their [FG/Labour] ratio of seats to votes. "

FF? FG? Labour? No winners in that beauty contest.

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » NAMAwatch (Pt. I)