Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:34 am 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Jun 22, 2008
Posts: 221
Just had a flick through the indo and the impossitions by the IMF.

(sorry of done already mods feel free to ..)

I like the bit about the protected professions (doctors, solicitors etc) having to come in line. Would welcome feedback how other pinsters view this?


sorry linky
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 44824.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:43 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance
User avatar

Joined: Nov 7, 2006
Posts: 5308
Location: Cloud 9
About bloody time. If you ask me the over zealous restrictions on the number of doctors they let qualify is directly responsible for many deaths in Ireland. Its a disgrace.

I'm sorry, but 90% of doctors don't need to be 600 point earning geniuses, some good training and cop on is all that it takes. Sure you will need to geniuses for high end doctoring, but your average GP doesn't need to be.

_________________
Landlord throwing you out on your ear so he can sell?
Need to save a few bob?
Then take a look at the bargain aisle
http://www.thebargainaisle.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:45 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Oct 3, 2008
Posts: 3537
Quote:
Judges will be given greater powers



Irony much - the most protected of them all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:47 am 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Jun 22, 2008
Posts: 221
onestepbehind wrote:
Quote:
Judges will be given greater powers



Irony much - the most protected of them all.



more Justice kelly's I say


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:55 am 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Oct 29, 2007
Posts: 11613
Location: Multiverse
whizzbang wrote:
About bloody time. If you ask me the over zealous restrictions on the number of doctors they let qualify is directly responsible for many deaths in Ireland. Its a disgrace.

I'm sorry, but 90% of doctors don't need to be 600 point earning geniuses, some good training and cop on is all that it takes. Sure you will need to geniuses for high end doctoring, but your average GP doesn't need to be.


I know 4 GPs.
All of them say the same thing.

Someone comes in feeling unwell.
It's essentially going to be one of three or four problems.
If they have been away to a tropical climate this may rise to five or six. But a rare occurance.

If you still can't diagnose correctly, then refer them to a consultant.

Where doctor training does come in, is when a patient is on multiple drugs. The doctor obviously must ensure they don't react with oneanother.
But as all my GP friends state - we have books for that.

600 points is not required for any job.
But the points system is the fairest we have.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 am 
Offline
Holiday Home Owner

Joined: Sep 6, 2009
Posts: 329
Location: In the land of Menolly's fools gold
Ahem, the political profession, could do with some culling, abolish the Seanad, halve the number of Junior Ministeries, halve the salary of Mary 'Austerity Jet to Belfast' Mc Aleese and reduce the Dail by at least 40 members, abolish town councils and merge local authority members might show a good example. No political pensions until at least 60 and have all future political pension on the same terms as the rest of the Public Service.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:58 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Mar 4, 2009
Posts: 1528
Does anybody have a link to the competition authority report re legal services which will have to be implemented? I could not find it online.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:00 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jan 18, 2009
Posts: 2550
Location: NWUK
Doctors had no small part to play in this little stunt -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_and_Child_Scheme

"In 1950, Browne proposed introducing a scheme which would provide free maternity care for all mothers and free healthcare for all children up to the age of sixteen, regardless of income. It met with ferocious opposition from conservative elements in the Catholic hierarchy and the medical profession......Many doctors disapproved of the scheme, some on principle, others because they feared a loss of income and a fear of becoming a kind of civil servant, referring to the plan as 'socialised medicine' "


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:03 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Nov 20, 2008
Posts: 1864
pyrite manor wrote:
Ahem, the political profession, could do with some culling, abolish the Seanad, halve the number of Junior Ministeries, halve the salary of Mary 'Austerity Jet to Belfast' Mc Aleese and reduce the Dail by at least 40 members, abolish town councils and merge local authority members might show a good example. No political pensions until at least 60 and have all future political pension on the same terms as the rest of the Public Service.


Screw that. Is there any good reason why TD and Ministerial pensions should not be Defined Contribution? That would be the fairest way of all and bring them in line with how things work for most people.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:06 am 
Offline
IMF'd

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 31490
Location: Tullamore
23rdbuchan wrote:
pyrite manor wrote:
Ahem, the political profession, could do with some culling, abolish the Seanad, halve the number of Junior Ministeries, halve the salary of Mary 'Austerity Jet to Belfast' Mc Aleese and reduce the Dail by at least 40 members, abolish town councils and merge local authority members might show a good example. No political pensions until at least 60 and have all future political pension on the same terms as the rest of the Public Service.


Screw that. Is there any good reason why TD and Ministerial pensions should not be Defined Contribution? That would be the fairest way of all and bring them in line with how things work for most people.

I think you can probably make a good case that all pensions above a certain level should be DC - you get a DB pension up to x (say, twice the state pension?), you pay for anything above x yourself.

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:08 am 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Dec 7, 2008
Posts: 263
Do you bloke seriously believe that potential doctors are selected on the basis that they get 600 or so points in some silly educational scheme. I suppose you also believe that solicitors are chosen using the same criteria.

You have a lot to learn.

A corrupt society thrives on its ability to fool the people all the time and up till now Ireland's elite has excelled.

Ask youselves how come so many doctors and solicitors offspring etc. etc. etc. manage to follow the same professions.

I can guarantee it is not because they are smarter than the average bear.

Jesus wept.

You have just made my day.

The countries fucked and you think it is run by some fair competition open to the plebs............... How quaint.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:13 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Mar 4, 2009
Posts: 1528
narcissus wrote:
Do you bloke seriously believe that potential doctors are selected on the basis that they get 600 or so points in some silly educational scheme. I suppose you also believe that solicitors are chosen using the same criteria.

You have a lot to learn.
...

+1

There are a lot of doctors with 600+ points and a lot of solicitors and barristers with 500+ points.

However, there are also a lot who come in by the back door. Doctors children with less than 500 points can get in through the College of Surgeons. Have a look at the law directory and see how many lawyers have BAs rather than BCLs. Go down to the Kings Inns and check out the qualifications of those in the "degree course". See how many students get in with low marks from Law degrees while others with higher marks do not get in. There are lots of muppet doctors, solicitors and barristers out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:21 am 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Dec 7, 2008
Posts: 263
Exactly.

I am just surprised that so few people still don't realise that the game is rigged.

The elite are excellent at maintaining their ascendancy.

Bullshit baffles brains everytime.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:22 am 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee
User avatar

Joined: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 1198
Location: County Galway/Poland
Few years ago Polish GPs who would work in Ireland would usually charge 35 to 40 euro for visit, then about year or two ago suddenly all of them started charging 50+ euro - there could be price fixing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: protected professions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:25 am 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Jun 22, 2008
Posts: 221
September wrote:
Few years ago Polish GPs who would work in Ireland would usually charge 35 to 40 euro for visit, then about year or two ago suddenly all of them started charging 50+ euro - there could be price fixing.


I reckon more a case of why not we'll still be undercutting the locals.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com