Post subject: Re: Mould: PIV System Solution or Snakeoil?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:37 am 
Single Home Owner

Where exactly is the mould, is there an odour and is there wallpaper or plasterboard on the relevant walls?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:47 am 
Old Time Landlord

pm1977 wrote:
BuMble wrote:
pm1977 wrote:
mr_anderson wrote:
Would it be cheaper to change the affected windows ?

Windows are less than 2 years old so no appetite to do that, hard to know exactly what the cause is but cold spots due to insufficient attic insulation is most likely bet as mentioned by Coles below. Or crappy gutters, or too much moisture generated by us, or a bit of all of the above.

Did you have this problem before you changed the windows? If not, it could be that drafty old windows were fulfilling the ventilation requirements but the better fitting new windows combined with the absence of 'normal vents' which you say you don't want in the bedrooms are leaving the stale humid air in the room to condense on cold surfaces.

If you didn't have this problem before changing the windows, the quickest and simplest thing you could do is to open bedroom windows every morning to allow a full air change in the room.

Think it was there before but has gotten slowly but steadily worse since draughty ones replaced.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. If it's got progressively worse since changing the windows then it's highly likely that the lack of air tightness on the old windows was creating a somewhat effective vent which was effectively removed by replacing the windows. Opening the windows every morning should make a step function improvement.

Maybe run a dehumidifier with (with the windows closed) for a period of time when you're not using the room to get as much of the existing moisture out of the walls, clean up any mold as best as possible and start opening the windows every morning when you get up. If this works as a solution, you have the option of continuing to do this or looking at installing a vent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:04 pm 
Real Estate Developer

assetwatch wrote:
Where exactly is the mould, is there an odour and is there wallpaper or plasterboard on the relevant walls?

It's in sporadic patches all along the curve of the ceiling above both of the windows, then on both corners and a lot down the whole length of the corner on the side where we join with the neighbours. It used to all wash off with mould spray and a scrub but now a lot of it will still be there (but less black) after cleaning. Painted plasterboard, no wallpaper. No obvious odour.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:25 pm 
Nationalised

OP - i was reminded this morning.. do you leave your doors ajar at night? or at least ensure there's a decent gap under the doors/ an internal vent.

If change the flooring especially the gap can get closed more than it should be

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:50 pm 
Real Estate Developer

slasher wrote:
OP - i was reminded this morning.. do you leave your doors ajar at night? or at least ensure there's a decent gap under the doors/ an internal vent.

Yes, all bedrooms have old internal vents to the landing. Gaps under the doors (think I read a minimum 3mm is standard?) seem to vary based on painting them recently and how some would catch the newspapers underneath and others wouldn't, but it's not vital with the vents being there too?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:39 am 
Single Home Owner

If there is mould in the plasterboard itself, and particularly on the back of it, then you really should replace it. If only the surface has mould, then you might consider using a mould killing primer (Zinsser), or at least a mould resistant paint.

You might think about using a saw to remove a small area of plasterboard where the mould is obvious so you can look at the back to find out if the backing paper smells or looks mouldy.

Water ingress or condensation are likely, but some materials (including some paints) are mould-friendly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:42 am 
Nationalised

pm1977 wrote:
slasher wrote:

Yes, all bedrooms have old internal vents to the landing. Gaps under the doors (think I read a minimum 3mm is standard?) seem to vary based on painting them recently and how some would catch the newspapers underneath and others wouldn't, but it's not vital with the vents being there too?

I can't say for sure.

I believe The figure that matters really is how many air changes per hour you have. How you measure this in an existing room I have no idea, though I'd suggest getting a humidity sensor to start.

In a bedroom I'd suggest leaving the door open in winter and putting on an extra layer or using a higher tog duvet