Follow, retweet @dailypinster




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Granny Flat - Zoned as non habitable accommodation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:46 am 
Offline
Homeless

Joined: Jun 25, 2013
Posts: 8
Hello-

We bought a house in Dublin central which has a 30 Metre squared granny flat in rear garden. Garden has side access. It had planning permission when it was built circa 2004. But the planning application stipulates that ,"...{granny flat} shall not be used as habitable accommodation; and shall be used for purposes incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house..."

We wish to use it for my aging parents when they visit...
I had a quick chat with a case officer from DCC and they said the only way it could be used as habitable space was if i had it joined to the main house. Thats a big job nad not something we can do just now.

Is there another route to get this zoned (if that's the right term) as habitable? Should I contact the area planner? The original case planner no longer works for DCC as far as I can tell.

any ideas? has anyone had a similar challenge with planning?
Whats a granny flat without a granny ffs!
thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granny Flat - Zoned as non habitable accommodation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 16964
Location: To the right of the decimal place
You don't have a granny flat. You have a shed.

On the other hand, this is Ireland so you can probably house a whole family there without anyone caring, let alone enforcing anything.

_________________
“If you're afraid - don't do it. If you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granny Flat - Zoned as non habitable accommodation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:57 am 
Online
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 4676
Kant wrote:
But the planning application stipulates that ,"...{granny flat} shall not be used as habitable accommodation; and shall be used for purposes incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house..."

What does it say exactly, with no selective editing? :D

The correct course of action is to return it to the use for which planning was originally granted.

You won't get permission to use it as habitable space, not while it's detached from the main dwelling.

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granny Flat - Zoned as non habitable accommodation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:16 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Mar 14, 2013
Posts: 1578
Kant wrote:
Hello-

We bought a house in Dublin central which has a 30 Metre squared granny flat in rear garden. Garden has side access. It had planning permission when it was built circa 2004. But the planning application stipulates that ,"...{granny flat} shall not be used as habitable accommodation; and shall be used for purposes incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house..."

We wish to use it for my aging parents when they visit...
I had a quick chat with a case officer from DCC and they said the only way it could be used as habitable space was if i had it joined to the main house. Thats a big job nad not something we can do just now.

Is there another route to get this zoned (if that's the right term) as habitable? Should I contact the area planner? The original case planner no longer works for DCC as far as I can tell.

any ideas? has anyone had a similar challenge with planning?
Whats a granny flat without a granny ffs!
thanks


Well unless granny is going to live in it permanently im not sure anyone would care. There is no army of DCC planning officers hanging out of trees keeping an eye on the shed/granny flat. if its going to be more permanent get a private planners advise. (non DCC).

_________________
An increase in the number of paupers does not broaden the market. M. Kalecki


Last edited by werpen on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granny Flat - Zoned as non habitable accommodation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:57 pm 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Jan 6, 2012
Posts: 125
Why do you need to contact the city council? If you were planning to rent the place out on a commercial basis, then I could understand. But if its just your parents visiting for a few days then there is no issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granny Flat - Zoned as non habitable accommodation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:06 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 16964
Location: To the right of the decimal place
Carson wrote:
Why do you need to contact the city council? If you were planning to rent the place out on a commercial basis, then I could understand. But if its just your parents visiting for a few days then there is no issue.


I suspect OP is not Irish and thinks you actually have to following planning law here.

_________________
“If you're afraid - don't do it. If you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Granny Flat - Zoned as non habitable accommodation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:55 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Posts: 1597
This is the whole basis of Shomera, garden buildings that can't be used for accomodation :wink: :wink:.

http://www.shomera.ie/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com