Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post subject: Re: Insulation question(s)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:54 pm 
Too Big to Fail

slasher wrote:
york wrote:
Would second focus on draughts. Often overlooked as an issue but paying back in spades. I've avoid chimney balloons (which are fiddly to fit and can get sucked up the chimney (but not necessarily out of the chimney, necessitating a visit from the sweep). I use a soft childs ball a couple of inches bigger in diameter than the (typically 8" diameter flue) which sits snugly into the bottom of the flue, won't get sucked up and is easy to take in and out.

but the ball eventually deflates and could get stuck up too??

Maybe it's just a middle aged British thing, but does anybody remember those kids' balls that were small football sized, but made of sponge foam? I'm sure they'd do the job just fine and be heavy enough to stay in place.

Otherwise, if you're worried about suction, maybe consider a plastic carrier bag stuffed full of foam packing chips and tied tightly shut. You can squish it in to position and if your fireplace has a grate, or fireguard (even ornamental), you could tie it to that to keep it in place. If you use fishing line, the tether will be effectively invisible from the room.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:29 am 
Nationalised

Madness of Crowds wrote:

Maybe it's just a middle aged British thing, but does anybody remember those kids' balls that were small football sized, but made of sponge foam? I'm sure they'd do the job just fine and be heavy enough to stay in place.

not sure about middle aged ... but they are still a thing; targeted at the youngest kids - a good deal smaller than a regular soccerball

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:03 am 
Neo Landlord

Bleary wrote:
Also this is a discussion on cavity wall. I'm not sure it's definitive one way or another http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity-wall-fill/

He does seem qualified. I would point out though:

a) I've never heard of anyone using blown rock wool in Ireland

b) He has no quantitative data

c) "filling with bonded beads takes several hours" --this is simply not true, 3 hours tops for an average house and even if it does then surely it's not such an obstacle.

d) The number of houses that have had this done in Ireland must be huge, judging by the external evidence on a walk through any old enough housing estate (i.e. the filled drill holes which are often hard to see.)

The area I live in is a collection of small estates, all dating from late fifties to early sixties and I reckon close to 60% of maybe 400-500 houses have had this done in the last decade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:32 pm 
Real Estate Developer

We hmm'd and haww'd over cavity wall insulation during the summer, we had a look at what AskJeff had to say about cavity wall insulation being a possible damp bridge etc, as cavity walls were really intended to stop rain penetrating the house. Anyway, the upshot is that we ended up getting the walls pumped about a month ago with the bead insulation. It was quick and easy from our point of view with zero disruption, it was done in a morning. You could feel the effect almost straight away, it seems very effective and though it is of course early days yet, there aren't any damp issues.

What we also did before deciding to get the cavity wall insulation is have a think about where our prevailing weather comes from - i.e. the rain! Like most areas in Ireland all the wet weather tends comes from the south-west/west and, because we are on the coast, it tends to be blown in on a strong wind sort of horizontally across the house rather than falling straight down vertically (there's always a breeze here!). We live in a semi-detached house and as it happens we are actually pretty well protected from the worst onslaughts from the south-west, so on that basis we thought it was worth getting the cavity wall insulation done. I will report back on any damp issues if they arise.

Just on the subject of dry lining and insulation of a wall that hasn't got cavities - the prevailing wisdom on that front seems to be that the most effective form of insulation for these walls is to get an insulation layer put on the outside of the wall rather than the inside - it is apparently much more effective, but also much more expensive. It might be a good solution for Ixelle's bathroom wall dilemma though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:00 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

If the external surface of your walls is in good condition, and you have no issues with damp, then it is highly, highly unlikely that you will see any issues from getting your walls pumped. If your external walls are not weather proof then there is a chance they will absorb moisture, and further a chance it will be transferred through the leaves.

I know many people who have had this done, not one has reported damp issues.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:30 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

So straddling both draughts and insulation we have wall vents.

Upon investigating why our house lost all heat almost as soon as I turned off the gas I found that all the wall vents were simply a piece of plastic on the inside and out with nothing in between.

In a best case scenario you might have some fancy passive vents but you always a pipe from the outside to in on a very slight angle.

In our case just a series of holes in the walls. The lack of a pipe meant that cold air had immediate access across every wall so you would get draughts even coming through plug holes.

Have still to resolve. Would appreciate any recommendations. Seems when it's not done right the first time diy options are scare.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:38 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Howitzer wrote:
So straddling both draughts and insulation we have wall vents.

Upon investigating why our house lost all heat almost as soon as I turned off the gas I found that all the wall vents were simply a piece of plastic on the inside and out with nothing in between.

In a best case scenario you might have some fancy passive vents but you always a pipe from the outside to in on a very slight angle.

In our case just a series of holes in the walls. The lack of a pipe meant that cold air had immediate access across every wall so you would get draughts even coming through plug holes.

Have still to resolve. Would appreciate any recommendations. Seems when it's not done right the first time diy options are scare.

Thanks for reminding me. Have the exact same issue with the couple of vents that I did investigate but have yet to tackle it. Pipe in place in both of them but not lined up with the vents so alot of air blowing through the grills will go between the walls.

Was thinking of tackling it myself. What do you mean by your last sentence?

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:56 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

In modern houses Vents were installed to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, especially if there is a gas fire. A carbon monoxide detector might be a better solution.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:47 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Dubhgeannain wrote:

Urghh, meant scarce. I can find a couple of options online but not much.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:31 pm 
Homeless

Tagging on to the insulation debate

I'm thinking of external insulation on our 1930's (very cold) house. Spoke with an insulating company who have been mentioned positively several times on this forum & like the sound of their sales pitch which admittedly means very little

My question is the house is semi-detached, red brick on ground floor & pebble dash at bedroom level. If this is externally insulated will the appearance change significantly? The insulating company say they will be able to replicate the existing appearance, albeit the walls will obviously be a little thicker than the neighbour due to the insulation. I'm meeting their rep later in the week & will ask for details of other sites, but just wondering if anyone has carried out this job & what impact it has on the house appearance?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:27 pm 
Nationalised

@TQ32, First explain your concern to the rep and ask them if they have done any similar houses. Then ask them for the address and go look for yourself. If they can't point to examples then find another company who can.

Ideally both houses would get the job done at the same time, so just on the off chance it would be worth discussing it with your neighbour. It might be something they are interested in and the company might be able to reduce the price a bit for both jobs.

With regards the dashing, it is important that the material used (and the process) is suitable. Some systems (rigid boards) can't be applied directly to dashing (although some systems are ok if the boards are sealed with adhesive around the edges to prevent convection behind the insulation). A Rockwool system like this might be an alternative solution. http://ecofix.ie/technical-information/

With regards the brickwork, that's straightforward enough. Brick slips can be bought to match the existing brickwork and then stuck on to mimic the original. Brick slips can also be made from salvaged brick if necessary. Again, look at examples that the company have done and while you're at it have a chat with the owners and ask them if they are satisfied with the company.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:57 pm 
IMF'd

Howitzer wrote:
Dubhgeannain wrote:

Urghh, meant scarce. I can find a couple of options online but not much.

To go back to a previous question on vents...
Something like this? http://www.fantronix.com/acatalog/Passi ... illes.html

I bought something similar for an extension and they seem fine to me! Easy to fit, with the tubes fitting over each other. Put the outer tube in place and then expanding foam around it to seal around it, then fix the inner one. For a more DIY solution, 4 inch sewer pipe cut to size and foam around.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:01 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I started this thread a full year ago - and have done almost nothing about it in the meantime...

Got quotes for cavity, internal and external. Reckon we'll go with the cavity on one side of the house and internal on the other - only one side is suitable for pumping. However, we are wondering whether we should also get internal insulation in the living room as this is on the side which will be pumped. We'll be getting some built-in shelving in that room and redecorating so don't want to find out afterwards that we should have added insulation.

- Any thoughts on whether it's necessary to use dry-lining on walls that will also be pumped with beads?
- Are there any downsides to doing this?