Post subject: Re: IP outdoor surveillance camera
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:21 pm 
Nationalised

starryeyed wrote:
So I bought the HIKVision DS2CD2142FWD mentioned above and am tying to hook it up via a TP-Switch.
http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Produc ... i5605.html
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... 1008P.html

The HikVision software can't find the camera and trying to figure out what the problem is - could it be that the camera is 802.1x while the switch is 802.3af?
Any thoughts / ideas much appreciated.

No, those are unrelated. af is power so if the camera is on that's working. x is probably not in use in this case.

When you say "the software" do you mean the software in the DVR or the remote viewing software?

Edit: usually the issue is that the devices are not all on the same network...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:44 am 
Real Estate Developer

starryeyed wrote:
So I bought the HIKVision DS2CD2142FWD mentioned above and am tying to hook it up via a TP-Switch.
http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Produc ... i5605.html
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... 1008P.html

The HikVision software can't find the camera and trying to figure out what the problem is - could it be that the camera is 802.1x while the switch is 802.3af?
Any thoughts / ideas much appreciated.

Both camera and TP Link device use same (only?) PoE standard 802.3af
I assume you have checked the wiring, used the right port (1-4 only) on the TP link switch, and not overloading the switch with other PoE devices?
it should be obvious if the camera receives power - e.g., there's a small green network activity led that should light up / flash.

it might also be worth checking whatever device assigns IP addresses in your network to manually look up the IP address, and double-check that it is in fact getting a reachable address assigned. (so address that is in the same subnet as your PC ideally)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:31 pm 
Homeless

Thanks very much for the replies - that's one less thing to worry about!

I have power on the camera - green light flickers from time to time. It's connected to Port1 (POE) on the TPLink switch and then the switch is connected back to the router.

Think I have a lot to learn about IP provisioning and LAN. I've logged into the router and the IP configuration page - all connected devices are using 255.255.255.000 but I can't see the camera's MAC address anywhere.

Thanks again for the help - back to the instruction manuals for a while I think.

Edit - by software I meant the SADP software and IVMS4200 that comes with the camera - both Hikvision products I think.
Edit2 - switch seems to work fine - connected computer to it via Ethernet, turned off WiFi and still have Internet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:23 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Just to follow up...I got a few Y-Cam indoor cameras, and I'm very pleased with them. Each one cost around €150. Set up was easy, I just downloaded their free app to my iPad and followed a couple of easy steps. Night vision kicks in automatically, sound recordings are crystal clear. It's motion sensor activated and sends a video to my phone of the recorded clip plus the 5 seconds before motion was detected. Videos are stored for free for 7 days. I just log into the app any time I want to watch what's happening at home. Sometimes it can take up to 20 seconds to refresh itself to a live image when I log in, but that is the only complaint I have, as yet. Customer service is excellent. I thought I had a small problem with one camera and dashed off an email before immediately realizing what was causing the issue. Y-Cam followed up with me twice to ensure I was happy. There's an outdoor one as well, but I haven't purchased that yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:55 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Do you have a link?

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."
—Hunter S Thompson-The Great Shark Hunt, 1979

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:56 pm 
IMF'd

newirishman wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Is it running raid 4 or something? That would explain why one disk fails disproportionately. Seems unlikely in this day and age though.

I had two Seagate 2TB drives in my previous DS 211j (RAID-1) and one of the discs failed after 4.5 years. Didn't expect that either.

(even more annoying that the SMART tests that are running regularly are in fact useless as an indicator for likelyhood to fail - no problems on the drive ever until it just failed).

The unit itself sits on rubber feet so wouldn't expect external vibrations to get through, and internally there's just a small fan apart from the discs itself that could cause any vibration.
Strange though to have it happen more than once in the same slot.

Yeah, I had the same problem with a Seagate disk after only 3 or so years. The original WD green is still fine after 8 years, and has been supplemented by another WD Green. It's not the only Seagate disk I've had fail either, so they are dead to me...

I've been seriously thinking of upgrading to kick-ass level too, what's the noise on the 916+ like? Is it upgradable (memory, processor)?

edit: sorry for the zombie revival :)

edit2: can you run a minecraft server on the 916+?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:02 pm 
Single Home Owner

Western Digital have a line of drives which are intended for NAS use.

WD Red
https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-s ... d-red.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:25 am 
Real Estate Developer

yoganmahew wrote:
newirishman wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Is it running raid 4 or something? That would explain why one disk fails disproportionately. Seems unlikely in this day and age though.

I had two Seagate 2TB drives in my previous DS 211j (RAID-1) and one of the discs failed after 4.5 years. Didn't expect that either.

(even more annoying that the SMART tests that are running regularly are in fact useless as an indicator for likelyhood to fail - no problems on the drive ever until it just failed).

The unit itself sits on rubber feet so wouldn't expect external vibrations to get through, and internally there's just a small fan apart from the discs itself that could cause any vibration.
Strange though to have it happen more than once in the same slot.

Yeah, I had the same problem with a Seagate disk after only 3 or so years. The original WD green is still fine after 8 years, and has been supplemented by another WD Green. It's not the only Seagate disk I've had fail either, so they are dead to me...

I've been seriously thinking of upgrading to kick-ass level too, what's the noise on the 916+ like? Is it upgradable (memory, processor)?

edit: sorry for the zombie revival :)

edit2: can you run a minecraft server on the 916+?

There seems to be a minecraft server package available for Synology, have a look here. No idea if any good.

Noise of the 916+ is low when running the fans in quiet mode; but even if running the fans in "cool mode" it is not too bad. I have it hidden in the utility room so don't really care how noisy it is.
You'll hear the hard disc noises though when the room is quiet and you are close to it. (depending on the disks of course).

You can't usually upgrade CPU or memory with the smaller synology boxes - the 916+ comes as 2GB or 8GB model, I think though you can upgrade the 2GB model to 8GB at a later stage. Price difference is not huge though.

916+ is great in general, use the docker package quite a lot to run a CI environment and a test system (java development). 8GB is plenty for all of this....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:44 pm 
IMF'd

Thank you!

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:01 am 
Nationalised

Any recommendations for a non recording indoor camera for a baby monitor? Has to be broadcast to Granny's mobile also... I had a cheap Chinese version broadcasting via somewhat sketchy server but even that's given up the
ghost

I ideally battery powered though I think power bank is probably the best way to go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:36 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

slasher wrote:
Any recommendations for a non recording indoor camera for a baby monitor? Has to be broadcast to Granny's mobile also... I had a cheap Chinese version broadcasting via somewhat sketchy server but even that's given up the
ghost

I ideally battery powered though I think power bank is probably the best way to go

Not battery powered but I've one of these chaps:

https://www.time2technology.com/en/secu ... -720p.html

Setup on the network and phone was painless.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:59 am 
Real Estate Developer

Y-cam is in big trouble and just when I bought a few more cameras and was about to buy the burglar alarm system. Received an email in which they rescinded the ‘free forever’ 7 day cloud storage with 14 days notice. I was a very happy customer until now. I actually don’t mind paying the subscription, my fear is that they will go bust now, and I will be left with useless cameras.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/12/y- ... d-storage/

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.y-cam.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:16 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

This is the trouble with these cloud-y things, you’re more or less at the mercy of the provider, and it’s not uncommon for them to scrap support.