Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Future » Weather

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Heatwave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:59 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Oct 20, 2012
Posts: 1912
Poe's law maybe

_________________
Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heatwave
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:58 am 
Offline
Holiday Home Owner

Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Posts: 330
Location: Middle Earth
Inis Man wrote:
The important thing here is that hydrocarbon oil and gas has evolved within the earth as a mechanism for helping modulate such heat build-up, flattening the seasonal heating-cooling sine wave if you like, absorbing heat in summer and then releasing it in winter


Hydrocarbon deposits buried hundreds of metres below the surface act as thermal buffers seasonally modulating the earths surface temperatures? Really?

Our oceans do that, not oil. Even if our oceans were made of crude oil, it's specific heat capacity is roughly one third that of water.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heatwave
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:02 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Apr 1, 2010
Posts: 10454
Terra Incognita wrote:
Inis Man wrote:
We need to remember that solar energy reaches earth only by radiation, which means that earth absorbs the sun's energy from inside outwards, not from the surface inwards, the earth warms up internally in response to the sun's radiation...

Ahem, I'm calling complete and utter bullshit on that thesis.

I think it has to be a spoof. :D

_________________
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" – Niels Bohr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heatwave
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:39 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Mar 14, 2013
Posts: 1897
ps200306 wrote:
Terra Incognita wrote:
Inis Man wrote:
We need to remember that solar energy reaches earth only by radiation, which means that earth absorbs the sun's energy from inside outwards, not from the surface inwards, the earth warms up internally in response to the sun's radiation...

Ahem, I'm calling complete and utter bullshit on that thesis.

I think it has to be a spoof. :D

the heat effects us all differently ;-)

_________________
An increase in the number of paupers does not broaden the market. M. Kalecki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heatwave
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:12 pm 
Offline
IMF'd

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 31653
Location: Tullamore
The high jetstream is unusual, but I doubt it'll become permanent. Still, the desalination of the North Atlantic and the small extent of polar ice may mean it is less unusual in future.

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heatwave
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:18 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Apr 1, 2010
Posts: 10454
owenm wrote:
Inis Man wrote:
The important thing here is that hydrocarbon oil and gas has evolved within the earth as a mechanism for helping modulate such heat build-up, flattening the seasonal heating-cooling sine wave if you like, absorbing heat in summer and then releasing it in winter


Hydrocarbon deposits buried hundreds of metres below the surface act as thermal buffers seasonally modulating the earths surface temperatures? Really?

Our oceans do that, not oil. Even if our oceans were made of crude oil, it's specific heat capacity is roughly one third that of water.

Not to mention that the Gulf Stream funnels the same mass of warm water northward every hour as all the oil ever extracted by humans. In any case solar radiation does not penetrate the land surface, and fossil fuel deposits are in local thermodynamic equilibrium with the geothermal gradient along with everything else around them. Insolation accounts for 99% of heat at the surface of the Earth, and less than 1% is due to escaping internal energy. That's why models of planetary surface temperatures that only take into account distance from the Sun, surface albedo, and atmospheric constituents, work just fine.

werpen wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
I think it has to be a spoof. :D

the heat effects us all differently ;-)

:D

_________________
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" – Niels Bohr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heatwave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:46 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Apr 1, 2010
Posts: 10454
I felt actual rain in SCD yesterday! 8DD

... but I doubt it amounted to more than a millimetre or two. :(

And none of it fell at Dublin Airport which is still registering zero for the month so far:

Image

In old money, the average for May to July is seven inches of rain. With a bit over a fortnight to go, we've had less than one inch, and almost all of that fell in May. Just drove down the coast to Wexford today and it's like a prairie everywhere. With all the browns you'd be forgiven for thinking it was Autumn.

_________________
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" – Niels Bohr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heatwave
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:46 am 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Oct 29, 2007
Posts: 11698
Location: Multiverse
Has Dublin Airport ever recorded zero rain for July ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heatwave
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:38 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Apr 1, 2010
Posts: 10454
mr_anderson wrote:
Has Dublin Airport ever recorded zero rain for July ?

No, nor for any month. The records -- like the airport -- only go back 80 years. Last month's rainfall of 4.8 mm has been beaten five times:

  • 4.7 mm in Feb '65,
  • 4.0 mm in Jun '42 and Mar '61,
  • 3.6 mm in Sep '86 and May '91.

_________________
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" – Niels Bohr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heatwave
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Mar 14, 2013
Posts: 1897
ps200306 wrote:
mr_anderson wrote:
Has Dublin Airport ever recorded zero rain for July ?

No, nor for any month. The records -- like the airport -- only go back 80 years. Last month's rainfall of 4.8 mm has been beaten five times:

  • 4.7 mm in Feb '65,
  • 4.0 mm in Jun '42 and Mar '61,
  • 3.6 mm in Sep '86 and May '91.

soil moisture deficits are off the charts
it will take very heavy downpours or a very wet month to get water levels to rise. IW and the Dublin supply will be under severe pressure for a few months

_________________
An increase in the number of paupers does not broaden the market. M. Kalecki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heatwave
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Oct 29, 2007
Posts: 11698
Location: Multiverse
werpen wrote:
soil moisture deficits are off the charts
it will take very heavy downpours or a very wet month to get water levels to rise. IW and the Dublin supply will be under severe pressure for a few months


It's Ireland.
What you are talking about is called 'August'. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Future » Weather

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com