Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: What is a good investment these days?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 pm 
IMF'd

I hate to say it, but a current passport and a one-way ticket.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:53 pm 
Single Home Owner

yoganmahew wrote:
GreenEyedMonster wrote:
Many would argue we are in for a dose of severe global deflation and that cash will be king. Equities will be trashed. Read more here:

http://theautomaticearth.blogspot.com/2008/11/debt-rattle-november-29-2008-inflation.html

Um, that's two and a half years old...

McWilliams et al were warning of a property bubble years before it popped. Good job I didn't listen to them and filled my boots in '07 like Canny advised, then.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:03 pm 
IMF'd

GreenEyedMonster wrote:
yoganmahew wrote:
GreenEyedMonster wrote:
Many would argue we are in for a dose of severe global deflation and that cash will be king. Equities will be trashed. Read more here:

http://theautomaticearth.blogspot.com/2008/11/debt-rattle-november-29-2008-inflation.html

Um, that's two and a half years old...

McWilliams et al were warning of a property bubble years before it popped. Good job I didn't listen to them and filled my boots in '07 like Canny advised, then.

Well, yeah, except that the deflation that was predicted was immediate and expected to last a number of years in the US. It didn't happen. QE I, II, and III worked. In part, I suspect, because QE IV, V, and VI would follow if they hadn't. Dollar deflation expectations have well and truly been pasted.

Unfortunately, though, it is the wrong kind of inflation. It is not a wage-price spiral that can be controlled by interest rates, but commodity inflation which is external to the US economy, pervasive (try living without commodities and see how far your economy gets), non-specific and unhelpful to the root problem - malinvestment and resultant over-indebtedness. There isn't a reason, though, to think that the stock market is about to collapse.

Says the man still in bonds from 2007 and feeling a bit sore that he listened to TAE and Roubini in March 2009 when he was going to move into oil and equities... too much chicken, not enough beef...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:10 pm 
Single Home Owner

yoganmahew wrote:

Well, yeah, except that the deflation that was predicted was immediate and expected to last a number of years in the US. It didn't happen. QE I, II, and III worked. In part, I suspect, because QE IV, V, and VI would follow if they hadn't. Dollar deflation expectations have well and truly been pasted.

Unfortunately, though, it is the wrong kind of inflation. It is not a wage-price spiral that can be controlled by interest rates, but commodity inflation which is external to the US economy, pervasive (try living without commodities and see how far your economy gets), non-specific and unhelpful to the root problem - malinvestment and resultant over-indebtedness. There isn't a reason, though, to think that the stock market is about to collapse.

Says the man still in bonds from 2007 and feeling a bit sore that he listened to TAE and Roubini in March 2009 when he was going to move into oil and equities... too much chicken, not enough beef...

Can't go wrong with bricks n mortar! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:49 pm 
Nationalised

FB2 wrote:
..... Also if you ever come across clips of Cramer, keep the mouse rolling, Dice have proven to be more accurate than him. .....

My homage to Cramer!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:09 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Anyone mentioned their own skills and employability?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property