Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 989 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 66  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Emigration Thread.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:24 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Actually even the thick gobshites in Father Ted would never be so utterly fucking stupid to come out with a comment like that.

Note to Matthews and Linehan - need to concoct even more moronic stereotypes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:31 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

its also much better for the person{s self esteem to be on the dole as well; broke, depressed, being regarded as a lazy bastard by the high and mighty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

On the positive side you get to be lectured on a Sunday by some bloke wearing a black dress who dislikes wimmen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:08 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

catbear wrote:
He's a dickhead.

Most likely an overpaid one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:53 pm 
Nationalised

pollydolly wrote:
W.T.F?

Quote:
COUNTRIES that benefit from Irish emigration should pay a tax to the State in return, sociologist Fr Micheál Mac Gréil SJ has said.

Quote:
Fr Mac Gréil, former professor of sociology at NUI Maynooth, said he did not blame young people for leaving, either by choice or circumstance, and many were “great ambassadors for Ireland”.

“But the reality is that it is a great loss for the country, and it would be better for young Ireland to be on the dole – and be creative – than to be emigrating,” he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 27062.html

Genius or total d*ckhead? Please discuss.

Well it's not different in sentiment in terms of the PLAY culture I have espoused here since day one which we need to move to, to get beyond the boom-bust industrial complex.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Quote:
COUNTRIES that benefit from Irish emigration should pay a tax to the State in return, sociologist Fr Micheál Mac Gréil SJ has said.

Quote:
Fr Mac Gréil, former professor of sociology at NUI Maynooth, said he did not blame young people for leaving, either by choice or circumstance, and many were “great ambassadors for Ireland”.

“But the reality is that it is a great loss for the country, and it would be better for young Ireland to be on the dole – and be creative – than to be emigrating,” he said.

He published one book decades ago on prejudice in Ireland and has been living on his increasingly flimsy reputation ever since. Time has overtaken him.

Using his logic, why should Ireland not pay states from which its draws skilled immigrants to staff areas like health care?

The idea that Ireland should pay people to stay unemployed in Ireland being "creative" is the fantasy of an old man who is living in some dancing-at-the-crossroads, John-Hinde-postcard-arran-sweater-wearing-red-hair-and-freckles-turf-cutting past.

Maybe he should speak out on the sexual abuse that was going on in Maynooth instead? Maybe he should suggest that religious orders pay their fair share of the compensation being paid to survivors of residential institution abuse?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:27 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I was under the impression that slavery and bonded labor was abolished decades ago, and that the concept of states selling their people is generally frowned upon, Cuban doctors excepted.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:00 am 
Too Big to Fail

Open Window wrote:
Well it's not different in sentiment in terms of the PLAY culture I have espoused here since day one which we need to move to, to get beyond the boom-bust industrial complex.
There's an intermittant employment status in France for occasional or part-time cultural workers, described here: http://www.culturalpolicies.net/web/france.php?aid=429
As with most programs, there are positives and negatives. I would note that it seems much easier for a violinist or pianist to make a modest living in France than in Ireland. That said, I've met far too many young people who self-identify as "actors" despite having just a couple of bit parts or adverts per year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:07 am 
Nationalised

ex-Patrick wrote:
Open Window wrote:
There's an intermittant employment status in France for occasional or part-time cultural workers, described here: http://www.culturalpolicies.net/web/france.php?aid=429
As with most programs, there are positives and negatives. I would note that it seems much easier for a violinist or pianist to make a modest living in France than in Ireland. That said, I've met far too many young people who self-identify as "actors" despite having just a couple of bit parts or adverts per year.

Well you can't blame them you have to play the part and really put yourself in the role no?

:-GC

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:17 am 
Too Big to Fail

Here's an interesting approach in England:
Quote:
... RSVP, a call centre in east London that employs only artists, taking calls for Which? magazine and WeightWatchers. Shifts are available in the day, evening, or at weekends, ­allowing artists to plan their work around shows, rehearsals or auditions (one of the biggest problems for ­performers is not being able to get to auditions, which often come up at short notice).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/jan/24/artists-day-jobs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:41 am 
Property Magnate

onlyone wrote:
I was under the impression that slavery and bonded labor was abolished decades ago, and that the concept of states selling their people is generally frowned upon, Cuban doctors excepted.

+1.
lord vader wrote:
its also much better for the person{s self esteem to be on the dole as well; broke, depressed, being regarded as a lazy bastard by the high and mighty.

Excellent point. It's quite clear that Fr Micheál Mac Gréil SJ has never actually been on the dole himself for any period of time. All signing on does for you is to slowly sap you of the will to live. It has been my personal observation that being on the dole for a long period of time gives you too much time on your hands and you end up getting nothing done. The depression doesn't help either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:49 am 
Under CAB Investigation

WA blasts work visa barrierhttp://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/13220555/wa-blasts-work-visa-barrier/

Quote:
Training Minister Peter Collier has blamed the Federal Government's "Neanderthal" visa processing program for the collapse of high-level negotiations between the State and Irish governments to bring 150,000 skilled workers temporarily to WA.

:shock:

Mr. David Stockman has said that supply-side economics was merely a cover for the trickle-down approach to economic policy—what an older and less elegant generation called the horse-and-sparrow theory: If you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows.- JK Galbraith

Taxes are what we pay for civilized society. -- Oliver Wendell Homes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:31 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Rick Flair wrote:
WA blasts work visa barrierhttp://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/13220555/wa-blasts-work-visa-barrier/

Quote:
Training Minister Peter Collier has blamed the Federal Government's "Neanderthal" visa processing program for the collapse of high-level negotiations between the State and Irish governments to bring 150,000 skilled workers temporarily to WA.

Is this true?
Woud Ireland even have 150,000 people in the right trades and skills who would be willing to relocate temporarily?
Not everyone wants to go so far

Where would they all live?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:39 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Wow, that must be almost 10% of the current population of the state.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:43 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:
Rick Flair wrote:

Quote:

Is this true?
Woud Ireland even have 150,000 people in the right trades and skills who would be willing to relocate temporarily?
Not everyone wants to go so far

Where would they all live?

Ssssshhh. Its a cunning plan.

We send them over there, let them settle in, & then they seize the radio station & Government offices & declare Independence from Oz & become the 33rd County. :nin :nin :nin :nin

"Mr Kelly said Ireland’s “reputational capital” had been damaged by “chancers” such as ex-Anglo Irish Bank chairman Seán FitzPatrick, who had been abetted by “buffoons” such as former financial regulator Patrick Neary, Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan and the Taoiseach." - Irish Times 13th Jan 2009

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." (Catherine Aird)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 989 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 66  Next