Post subject: The Best Place to Live in Ireland
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:02 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wee ... tml?via=mr

The Irish Times is running this......its kind of an interesting idea, although one assumes that after all is said and done it will be a photo finish between Sandymount and Dalkey.....with special mention to some trendy country town like Listowel.

The comment from Frank MacDonald is interesting:

"The best place to live is on a street...."

Also, am not surprised to see Stoneybatter mentioned. Its trendy.....houses have no gardens? no matter. its trendy.

Having said that, I don't want to be too cynical; I actually found the judges comments quite interesting.

Post subject: Re: The Best Place to Live in Ireland
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:16 pm 

An interesting idea, alright.

Works as a "best place to live" concept - i.e. type of street, community etc, but not as a location.

Location is totally subjective and it always swayed by where you grew up, where your family/friends are, where you work, and so on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:25 pm 
Real Estate Developer

There was some study on this recently that took into consideration environmental issues, transport links, job prospects etc and it came up with Galway and SCD came bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:26 pm 

Conor wrote:
An interesting idea, alright.

Works as a "best place to live" concept - i.e. type of street, community etc, but not as a location.

Location is totally subjective and it always swayed by where you grew up, where your family/friends are, where you work, and so on.

Ah yeah....but there's nothing they can do about that.

The emphasis on community is important within the discussion.

Even within the small area that I live in, for example on our street everyone knows one another, there a lot of kids, we've had street parties in the past, we all go to the St Patricks day parade together and so on.

Two streets away in the same estate, a guy I know has had desperate trouble with his neighbours, cant wait to get out of there.

Its a fragile thing, 'community spirit'.....I remember a guy saying to me once that the only reason he brings his kids to mass was that its the only occasion, in the part of town he lives in (Cabinteely I think) where they can meet other people from the area. Having grown up in the country, I just find it bizarre this notion of people not knowing who their neighbours are in Dublin. But its the way things are.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 pm 

Aloysius wrote:
There was some study on this recently that took into consideration environmental issues, transport links, job prospects etc and it came up with Galway and SCD came bottom.

Hard to see how Galway could outstrip SCD in either transport links or job prospects.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:58 pm 
Real Estate Developer

YorkieBar wrote:
Aloysius wrote:

Hard to see how Galway could outstrip SCD in either transport links or job prospects.

Probably didn't but the environmental factors outweighed it. When they said transport they seemed to mean being close to, but not right beside, an airport and motorways, rather than QBCs, traffic in SCD and communting time was a big downside.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:04 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

YorkieBar wrote:
Aloysius wrote:

Depends on the kind of job you're looking for.
If you want jobs in certain fields, they tend to cluster, often in apparently unlikely places. SCD, Galway and greater Cork would all be OK for me, much better than central Dublin, for example.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 pm 

Madness of Crowds wrote:
YorkieBar wrote:
Aloysius wrote:

If you want jobs in certain fields, they tend to cluster, often in apparently unlikely places. SCD, Galway and greater Cork would all be OK for me, much better than central Dublin, for example.

THats true, but the clusters tend to be in Dublin with the exception of pharmaceuticals....

Not trying to be a cheerleader for SCD, I dont live there, but I cant think of any profession bar something Irish language related where jobs are more readily available in Galway than Dublin.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:17 pm 

Aloysius wrote:

Do you have a link or reference to that study? I'd really love to read a report which came up with the notion that Foxrock, Dalkey, Sandycove, Kiliney, Donnybrook, Ranelagh, Monkstown and Blackrock etc., etc., are somehow, among the worst places to live in Ireland!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:22 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

YorkieBar wrote:
Madness of Crowds wrote:
YorkieBar wrote:
Aloysius wrote:

THats true, but the clusters tend to be in Dublin with the exception of pharmaceuticals....

Not trying to be a cheerleader for SCD, I dont live there, but I cant think of any profession bar something Irish language related where jobs are more readily available in Galway than Dublin.

Medical device manufacturing and R&D are concentrated in those two areas in particular.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:26 pm 

Madness of Crowds wrote:

Medical device manufacturing and R&D are concentrated in those two areas in particular.

Fair enough, but that probably derives from an IDA led initiative to create or place industry centres outside of Dublin......which only illustrates the notion that Dublin is the centre of that jobs market, and disproportionately so......

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:30 pm 
Real Estate Developer

HiFi wrote:
Aloysius wrote:

Do you have a link or reference to that study? I'd really love to read a report which came up with the notion that Foxrock, Dalkey, Sandycove, Kiliney, Donnybrook, Ranelagh, Monkstown and Blackrock etc., etc., are somehow, among the worst places to live in Ireland!

No, I've just been googling looking for a link but can't find it, I just saw it discussed in TV3, I think there was a strong bias toward environmental factors which would explain the result.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:33 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

YorkieBar wrote:
Madness of Crowds wrote:

Fair enough, but that probably derives from an IDA led initiative to create or place industry centres outside of Dublin......which only illustrates the notion that Dublin is the centre of that jobs market, and disproportionately so......

Outer Dublin plus Meath, Kildare and Wicklow, yes. Inner Dublin, no. (if you work in manufacturing, that is). In the same way, London was an employment desert for me when I lived in the UK. Practically the only employers were public sector.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:33 pm 

My own view is that the best part of Dublin to live in would be Sandymount; and the best town outside of Dublin to live in would be Kilkenny.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:34 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Not as scientific, but I might as well give this a link: http://www.likeplace.ie/

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl