Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post subject: Re: Giant 3D-printer can print a house in a day
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:17 am 
Under CAB Investigation

True, all his huffing and puffing will be handy to make it rather than break it!
But I cannot help wondering - would a group of them being built constitute a class of bubble?!?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:31 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Tis Meself wrote:
But I cannot help wondering - would a group of them being built constitute a class of bubble?!?
Like a Bubble Jet 3D Printer?

:-GC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:03 pm 
Nationalised

The world's first family to live in a 3D-printed home (allegedly). Built as social housing in Nantes, cost 20% less than a traditional house and the 3D printing part took 56 hours. They reckon they can get the time and cost down by nearly 50% through improvements and economies of scale.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:24 pm 
Neo Landlord

Of course units can be done for as little as $10-11,000, or $275 per sq metre. Against that the €176,000 example seems to be a bit inflated, which I wonder may be because of the intervention of Government, the Construction Industry and Unions, as it swept across the French border in the last year.

I mean how would Tom Parlon and Co. react if these machines started arriving down at Dublin Docks. Plus the Government is looking forward to lots of Vat receipts from all this house building in years to come. Sub €100,000 units of functional housing for low paid workers might 'distrupt' things a little. So it will need to be managed and monitored. Strange that the disruptive tech displacing lots of low paid jobs is being openly embraced and can't come soon enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:39 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Personally, I think that factory built modules assembled on site make more sense that 3D printing because the inside of a factory unit is far cleaner than any site could ever be.
The all that's needed on site are the groundworks ( always dirty ) a crane to stack the modules and cladding to complete the build.
As the modules will be already wired & plumbed, apart from connecting the links between modules no trades are needed on site at all.

Quality control would be much easier to manage as well.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:32 am 
Nationalised

dolanbaker wrote:
Personally, I think that factory built modules assembled on site make more sense that 3D printing because the inside of a factory unit is far cleaner than any site could ever be.
The all that's needed on site are the groundworks ( always dirty ) a crane to stack the modules and cladding to complete the build.
As the modules will be already wired & plumbed, apart from connecting the links between modules no trades are needed on site at all.

Agree 100%

Using a complicated 3D printer to make the large flat and simply panels of wall/floor is the height of folly. It's simply not efficient

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:38 pm 
Nationalised

They have a 95 sq m house that they printed............hhmmmmnnn I`ve been looking at kit homes here in Australia:

https://www.sheds.com.au/kit-homes/country-home/
https://www.sheds.com.au/kit-homes/the-cottage/

There is a 105sq m kit for 35k aussie dollar so 22k in Euro.
They come in steel kits you put together - for anyone interested they have youtube videos on how to do it. Quite easy and you cant place the parts together incorrectly as they wont fit.
I`ve seen a couple of tradesmen put the steel frames together for 3 houses in a couple of days. So its not massively labour intensive.

What i`m finding is that adding foundations, flooring, kitchen install, electrical wiring, plumbing, insulation etc etc is the expensive part.
Another option we looked at is something like this http://asth.com.au/homes/sa/52/Rosemont/mk-2 149 sq m
Its a factory built transportable house. They kit it out internally. Now I just cant beat their prices for kitting them out. They do give the option to provide a shell but i believe this is only where someone wants to kit it out to a really high standard and thats really a different market probably.

The kitted out transportable is 135k Aud - 85k in Eur (including kitchen, dishwasher even, insulation, flooring, everything basically)

If I were to buy the 35k kit and fit it all out DIY I wouldnt be able to beat the factory built house. Add in loss of wages and its a big loser.

They have good video of inside etc for those interested http://asth.com.au/
I`ve been in one and its quite decent. Quite alot better than your typical Irish house but smaller than many Australian houses. The factory built ones are something like 6 months build from time of order but i reckon they must have a few going at the same time

But if someone who has some real building experience could tell me how i could do the 35k one and kit it out cheaply DIY it would be music to my ears!!!

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?