Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post subject: Home buyers in Dublin paying €100,000 DART, Luas premium
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:49 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Home buyers in Dublin paying €100,000 DART, Luas premium

RTE article
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/05 ... e_premium/

Daft.ie report it's based on
https://www.daft.ie/blog/2018-h1-luas-a ... -stop-map/

Post subject: Re: Home buyers in Dublin paying €100,000 DART, Luas premium
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:38 am 
Speculator

TheJackal wrote:

RTE article

This piece looks like very lazy journalism. Houses in the areas mentioned were always higher on average than average prices across the entire city. And house prices are not uniformly high along all stretches of the Luas and Dart lines so transport links are just one factor among many. A journalist could have worked that out in 5 minutes of research.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:54 pm 
Single Home Owner

Convenient access to rapid transit seen as valuable advantage. I'm shocked.

Of course, if investment in basic public transport infrastructure wasn't held in such low regard by so many in this country, a much higher proportion of the city's homes would be close to such wonders and the price differential would be much lower.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:30 am 
Nationalised

onioneater wrote:
TheJackal wrote:

RTE article

This piece looks like very lazy journalism. Houses in the areas mentioned were always higher on average than average prices across the entire city. And house prices are not uniformly high along all stretches of the Luas and Dart lines so transport links are just one factor among many. A journalist could have worked that out in 5 minutes of research.

Indeed.
Have the houses in Leopardstown/Cherrywood risen by an additional €100k since the LUAS ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:28 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I can’t wait to see how Go Ahead buses will compare to that dismal failure, Dublin Bus. If DB wasn’t such an unreliable, stressful and utterly soul destroying experience each time, I don’t believe people would need to care so much about proximity to the LUAS.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0 ... d-ireland/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:31 am 
Under CAB Investigation

croquette wrote:
I can’t wait to see how Go Ahead buses will compare to that dismal failure, Dublin Bus. If DB wasn’t such an unreliable, stressful and utterly soul destroying experience each time, I don’t believe people would need to care so much about proximity to the LUAS.

Depends were you are. ive always found Dublin bus to be much better than the crammed and frankly dangerous luas (both lines)
tracking and various apps at least let you know where the bus is these days

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 am 
Real Estate Developer

croquette wrote:

I have to say I've found Dublin bus much improved over the last few years. The main problem is that it is almost impossible for Dublin Bus to meet the timetable in the City Centre due to traffic congestion. On many roads in central Dublin there is no space for bus lanes to ensure that buses can move freely. There is little policing of the bus lanes - parking and unloading is common in the city centre and skipping up the bus lanes is endemic - Waterloo Road is a prime example of this.

There has been deliberate under-funding of Dublin Bus for decades. This is standard operating procedure for governments intent on privatisation. Same as they have done with the Health Services. AirCoach is an example of this. Dublin Bus still runs a service but it is hobbled by having to serve Connolly and Heuston stations - AirCoach don't have to do this. When the LUAS was introduced a number of Dublin Bus services from Dundrum to the City Centre had their frequency reduced - at the time their fares were lower than the LUAS. Now that the LUAS is so crowded I wonder will the frequency of these services be increased.

And here we go again with Go-Ahead. The routes assigned to Go-Ahead are orbital routes. It will be far easier to adhere to the timetable on these routes - as a result it's inevitable that their punctuality levels will be higher than Dublin Bus. This will be used as part of a dialogue to ensure that privatisation is viewed as a good thing. Perhaps the Government should look at the behaviour and success of the privatised rail and bus companies in the UK. The UK public transport sector has been a disaster since privatisation - the companies are effectively monopolies that set the service agenda and cherry pick the most profitable services.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:55 am 

metalmike wrote:
And here we go again with Go-Ahead. The routes assigned to Go-Ahead are orbital routes. It will be far easier to adhere to the timetable on these routes - as a result it's inevitable that their punctuality levels will be higher than Dublin Bus. This will be used as part of a dialogue to ensure that privatisation is viewed as a good thing. Perhaps the Government should look at the behaviour and success of the privatised rail and bus companies in the UK. The UK public transport sector has been a disaster since privatisation - the companies are effectively monopolies that set the service agenda and cherry pick the most profitable services.

Their routes include the 75 and 17 - both routes I've used extensively over the last 15 years (on and off, but spread fairly well over the years). While they have good spells, both are extremely liable to buses simply not showing up (including the "phantom bus" phenomenon on the RTI system) or being way, way behind schedule.

The unreliability of the 75 in particular was one of the main factors which made me eventually give up my principles and get a car!

Will be interesting to see if there's any difference with Go Ahead. I have no particular expectations one way or another at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:45 pm 
Nationalised

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.3527128

Quote:
Dublin homes to lose gardens and parking under ‘high speed’ bus route plan
Up to 1,300 houses affected by National Transport Authority’s 230km of new lanes

More than 1,000 homes in Dublin will lose gardens and parking places under plans by the National Transport Authority to create 16 high-speed bus routes in the city.

Under the changes, to be announced today by the authority, 230km of expanded bus lanes and 200km of cycle lanes are to be constructed within a decade.

However, the authority warns that because there is “so little unused space” along some roads, that “it will often not be possible to accommodate the bus lanes and cycle lanes in the width available”.

The 16 routes are : Clongriffin to city centre; Swords to city centre; Ballymun to city centre; Finglas to Phibsborough; Blanchardstown to city centre; Lucan to city centre; Liffey Valley to city centre; Clondalkin to Drimnagh; Greenhills to city centre; Kimmage to city centre; Tallaght to Terenure; Rathfarnham to city centre; Bray to city centre; UCD Ballsbridge to city centre; Blackrock to Merrion and Ringsend to city centre.

if the commenters on the IT Facebook/The Journal are anything to go by it won't be popular - "build a metro instead" etc :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:46 pm 
Real Estate Developer

slasher wrote:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-homes-to-lose-gardens-and-parking-under-high-speed-bus-route-plan-1.3527128

Quote:
Dublin homes to lose gardens and parking under ‘high speed’ bus route plan
Up to 1,300 houses affected by National Transport Authority’s 230km of new lanes

More than 1,000 homes in Dublin will lose gardens and parking places under plans by the National Transport Authority to create 16 high-speed bus routes in the city.

Under the changes, to be announced today by the authority, 230km of expanded bus lanes and 200km of cycle lanes are to be constructed within a decade.

However, the authority warns that because there is “so little unused space” along some roads, that “it will often not be possible to accommodate the bus lanes and cycle lanes in the width available”.

The 16 routes are : Clongriffin to city centre; Swords to city centre; Ballymun to city centre; Finglas to Phibsborough; Blanchardstown to city centre; Lucan to city centre; Liffey Valley to city centre; Clondalkin to Drimnagh; Greenhills to city centre; Kimmage to city centre; Tallaght to Terenure; Rathfarnham to city centre; Bray to city centre; UCD Ballsbridge to city centre; Blackrock to Merrion and Ringsend to city centre.

if the commenters on the IT Facebook/The Journal are anything to go by it won't be popular - "build a metro instead" etc :roll:

Not sure if this is a result of the survey that was taken on public transport a couple of months ago. I kind of hope it is. I filled it in and encouraged others who don't drive into town to - and most don't (even if you can hack the traffic the cost of parking if you don't have an employee space (and almost nobody does) is prohibitive) to do so. General agreement was that more and properly enforced bus lanes was the way to go. Buses are much more flexible than Luas/Dart/Train. If there is no room for buses and cars then the cars need to go or the gardens - most people have happily ripped up their gardens to make them into car parks so they don't really give a shit about gardens but they don't want to lose the car park. For Rathfarnham/Terenure either Rathmines Road or Harolds X rd (or both) need to lose a car lane. So you could have one car lane in and one back with 2 bus lanes and a car lane on each of these roads. Castlewood avenue could be bus and local access only - it's a big bottleneck. Do that and you would cut car use at a stroke and you could bus in from Rathfarnham in 20-25 minutes. The problem would be the amount of giving out about how underused the bus lanes are. The queue from Terenure to the canal in the morning is about 2km at 250 cars per km that's 500 cars - at best 600 people or 8 buses if you take the static capacity. At 8km/h (and that is really optimistic) the cars put through 2400 people per hour - run a bus every 2 minutes and you've got that covered - but people won't see that as success - they'll want to know why they can't use the "empty" road.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:54 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I would happily rip up the drives and replant them, as:

a) mature suburban gardens are some of the most ecologically diverse environments in the developed world, particularly if you can maintain a reasonably large, continuous area of them. Agricultural fields are an ecological desert by comparison.

b) replacing tarmac with herbaceous planting, shrubbery and lawn helps enormously with regulating drainage and alleviates flooding.

but then, it's not really my problem, since:

c) there are only two or three practical ways to commute for work (motorcycle, bicycle or at a pinch, bus), so we don't need all that much road anyway
and
d) there's no real reason to commute to the city centre in the daytime at all, unless you're an academic or a civil servant, since all the jobs (at least, most of the well paid, interesting, highly skilled ones) are in outer suburbia anyway. The only private sector jobs in the city centre are low paid, low skilled ones in fields such as retail and customer service, that have no trade in normal working hours. :twisted:

Live in Victorian middle suburbia and work as an engineer in manufacturing industry on the outskirts. You all know it makes sense. :D

(Other experiences are available. All opinions are personal. :wink: 8) )

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 am 
Real Estate Developer

Madness of Crowds wrote:
I would happily rip up the drives and replant them, as:

a) mature suburban gardens are some of the most ecologically diverse environments in the developed world, particularly if you can maintain a reasonably large, continuous area of them. Agricultural fields are an ecological desert by comparison.

b) replacing tarmac with herbaceous planting, shrubbery and lawn helps enormously with regulating drainage and alleviates flooding.

but then, it's not really my problem, since:

c) there are only two or three practical ways to commute for work (motorcycle, bicycle or at a pinch, bus), so we don't need all that much road anyway
and
d) there's no real reason to commute to the city centre in the daytime at all, unless you're an academic or a civil servant, since all the jobs (at least, most of the well paid, interesting, highly skilled ones) are in outer suburbia anyway. The only private sector jobs in the city centre are low paid, low skilled ones in fields such as retail and customer service, that have no trade in normal working hours. :twisted:

Live in Victorian middle suburbia and work as an engineer in manufacturing industry on the outskirts. You all know it makes sense. :D

(Other experiences are available. All opinions are personal. :wink: 8) )

Happy to agree with (a) and (b). In (c) you forgot walking - I use a mixture of public transport and walking from southern middle suburbia to the city centre. It takes me about 40 minutes - just a bit long to walk - probably an hour but if the bus worked I could take it all the way and be there in 20 minutes which is what it takes me outside of rush hour.
With (d) I'm taking a guess you haven't been in the city centre for a while :) . There are plenty of well-paid private sector jobs in the city centre (agreed they might not all be interesting) but all the major law and accountancy firms are there , as are the banks (which are only arguably private sector since we should own their arses), and Amazon, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google (many of the tech jobs are shitty low paid ones but not all) and a whole host of smaller tech companies that employ thousands.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:07 am 

Its’s not just the lack of bus lanes and bus lanes being shared with slow cyclists, etc., that causes inefficiency in DB. Take the #16, for example. It services the airport, City Centre and southside. When on this bus heading north, at almost every stop tourists alight. They don’t know that it’s coins only, they don’t know they can’t pay with a Visa card, etc., all of this is explained at every stop, often many times because the bus driver doesn’t speak French, German, Spanish (the most common tourists), and they often cannot understand the driver the first few times. This happens at every stop. A simple sign in a few languages at the bus stops would sort this, but no, DB cannot erect these signs. Then there’s the people looking for directions from the drivers because there aren’t any maps at the bus stops, another few minutes lost at a stop.

A friend of mine gets her bus at a bus terminus each morning and tells me that the buses very frequently don’t leave the terminus at the appointed time. They just skip that bus and send out the next one in 15/20 mins.

I think a wise idea would be to open up the surrounding counties. More frequent trains and lots of buses from Heuston and Connolly would relieve a lot of pressure from the city. Of course, all the antisocial behaviour allowed on the trains would have to sorted as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 am 

@metalmike Lots of those companies, PayPal, etc., have to run their own buses around the city to collect their employees because DB cannot be relied upon to get them to work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 am 
Under CAB Investigation

croquette wrote:
@metalmike Lots of those companies, PayPal, etc., have to run their own buses around the city to collect their employees because DB cannot be relied upon to get them to work.

This is incorrect. Dublin bus run a regular and timely service to the door of paypal. It does probably need 1 extra bus in the morning and evening but thats it.
Paypal and the corporate parks run a very limited bus service from the city centre.

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?