Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post subject: Re: Home buyers in Dublin paying €100,000 DART, Luas premium
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:26 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

werpen wrote:
croquette wrote:
@metalmike Lots of those companies, PayPal, etc., have to run their own buses around the city to collect their employees because DB cannot be relied upon to get them to work.

This is incorrect. Dublin bus run a regular and timely service to the door of paypal. It does probably need 1 extra bus in the morning and evening but thats it.
Paypal and the corporate parks run a very limited bus service from the city centre.

Which part is incorrect? You’re saying PayPal doesn’t run its own bus? PayPal clearly finds DB isn’t getting the job done, otherwise, why run their own bus? Many companies run their own buses, not just PayPal.

https://collinstravel.ie/PayPal_Commuter.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 am 
Real Estate Developer

The Paypal bus (and the other corporate buses) are quicker as they don't have any social service obligations like driving around the vast housing estates that lie to the West of Dublin and stopping every 100m. If the Paypal bus is anything like the other corporate buses there are probably 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening and there are only a couple of collection points and it goes straight out from town via the fastest route. The corporate buses are fine if you don't need to work out of the norm hours to pickup/drop kids from/to school/creche as most of the population do. Dublin Bus is infrequent during the day and also the route that it is forced to follow means that it is not an awful lot faster at 3 oclock than it is between 8 and 9. So if you work in an industrial estate on the fringes of Dublin and have family obligations then you are pretty much forced into the car. Sandyford and Cherrywood have the Luas but places like City West, Park West and Ballycoolin are pretty much a disaster. Orbital public transport routes that had limited stops at connecting radial routes could at least partially resolve this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:31 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I think the PayPal bus has the advantage that it actually turns up at the appointed time, unlike DB, which is the main problem. Often the reason is that they are not sent out of the terminus, either at all, or punctually. I split some of my time between Ireland and another country. There, the buses run to a printed timetable, to the minute. No bus corridors, nothing. They navigate the city same as DB and manage to maintain their correct intervals. I can choose what time I want to arrive in work, and I know I will be there at *exactly* that time. Don’t see why that cannot be done here, too. Stupid management, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:35 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

croquette wrote:
I think the PayPal bus has the advantage that it actually turns up at the appointed time, unlike DB, which is the main problem. Often the reason is that they are not sent out of the terminus, either at all, or punctually. I split some of my time between Ireland and another country. There, the buses run to a printed timetable, to the minute. No bus corridors, nothing. They navigate the city same as DB and manage to maintain their correct intervals. I can choose what time I want to arrive in work, and I know I will be there at *exactly* that time. Don’t see why that cannot be done here, too. Stupid management, I guess.

Its incorrect to say it doesnt operate on time. Some of the private operators are hit and miss regarding time keeping and some of the buses are poor quality.
Its quicker but not if live anywhere on the route.
Its cheaper if you only have to go to the city centre and not use any of the other DB services. I couldnt care less who runs the service but services should be similar standard and used interchangably

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?