Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post subject: Re: Living “in town” v “a couple of miles outside”
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:26 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

slasher wrote:
The distance from the cabinet still matters

For copper yes it does, noise on the line increases with distance, if you have actual fiber then it shouldn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:39 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

2Pack wrote:
helimachoptor wrote:
Skippy 3 wrote:
Check broadband and mobile reception very carefully before you do this.

Yes, cant stress this enough.

Sister in law bought a house where there's no mobile or mobile BB coverage and too far from the exchange for BB and she's a teleworker.
So she needs to go into the town everyday to work :shock:

Only around 20% of rural residents have access to decent broadband (that means a reliable 30mbits plus) right now.

The other 80% could be waiting till 2028 for the government scheme to reach them. Always check the http://broadband.gov.ie/ site with the PRECISE eircode of the premises you intend to live in FIRST.

If it passes then you should be able to get FTTH (up to 1 gbit fibre) which is the only service worth having in rural Ireland. Mobile services are crap, if available they are overloaded and slow, especially in the evenings.

eir should increase that 20% FTTH coverage to around 30% in the next year or so but they will stop at that. The other 70% of rural Ireland could be waiting 10 years for decent broadband.

I live in the perhaps 10% who have 4 bars on every mobile network and FTTH at home, shockingly first world that. :)

The SpaceX Starlink broadband service will get there before the Gov roll out anything. The lack of broadband issue will disappear in a few years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlin ... stellation)

They have already launched 2 demo satellites.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:40 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

I noticed the SpaceX satellite development facility is in Redmond Washington.

I lived in that area for many years. It is one of the hottest technology and manufacturing areas in the world (Amazon, microsoft, boeing and on and on....)

And yet I was able to buy a nice large detached house in a great area on one salary while the missus raised the kids.

What the f*** is wrong with this stupid country of ours.

Sorry - temporary rant & off topic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 pm 
Too Big to Fail

BeholdThePoorRemains wrote:
I noticed the SpaceX satellite development facility is in Redmond Washington.

I lived in that area for many years. It is one of the hottest technology and manufacturing areas in the world (Amazon, microsoft, boeing and on and on....)

And yet I was able to buy a nice large detached house in a great area on one salary while the missus raised the kids.

What the f*** is wrong with this stupid country of ours.

Sorry - temporary rant & off topic.

Well both King County and Snohomish County had sane development plans and zoning / rezoning for decades. Although King County, both Seattle urban and the Snoqualmie plateau, have got a little weird in the last decade or so. Still not stupid yet. Although Kitsap County is getting there. There are no land banks of "rezoned land" like those that have strangled development in the greater Dublin Area for decades. There is a realistic and accurate property tax that keeps the marked liquid. Around 1% p.a of assessed market value. Reviewed annually and remarkably accurate. And finally there are very few legal options for local politicians and local property owners from stopping up density development. So the cities can grow populations by greatly increasing density and property prices still stay fairly reasonable. The recent up density of BellTown and Capitol Hill in Seattle being good examples. Although the transformation of downtown Bellevue from mostly strip malls to mostly high rises has been pretty startling.

None of this would ever happen in Ireland.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:39 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Hi all

My wife and I have recently enough had our second child and are currently discussing future living plans as we don’t plan to stay long term in current location. We are pretty torn about where to base ourselves in terms of within suburban area v just outside ( a couple of miles) but not walkable.

Would welcome views

Much obliged
IM

I've coined a phrase for myself: amenity proximity. When the barriers to using an amenity are low, you'll use it. Start raising those barriers and you use the amenity less. Cost, weather, business, etc are examples of such barriers. Proximity to the amenity however, is probably most critical.

And it can be a very subtle thing. I live about 1/2 mile from the beach. And there's a steep enough hill down to it from my house. Because it's downhill to it, I'm more likely to decide, spur of the moment, to get the young fella and either freewheel down on the bike or walk down - facing the uphill on the way back.

If it were uphill to get there and downhill back, I'd be less likely to go as spur of the moment - laziness halting the initial get up and go.

The same thing goes for having a green right in front of the house: once the kids are 4 or so, they spend time there with other kids. At 6 they are coming and going to it at will.

The idea that you would isolate yourself from amenity such that you have to car it to everything strikes me as insane. You (and the kids) will simply do a lot less - due to lower amenity proximity.

I drive by houses a few miles out which are located in leafy, quiet country roads. They look idyllic from a space / peace-and-quiet point of view but the reality, if you've kids?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

A housing estate - either in city or in a town - is best from the point of view of your kids amusing themselves and getting out from under your hair.

I missed it myself growing up. I don't have it either now that I have kids (for various reason) and I feel like they're missing out a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:36 pm 
Speculator

Skippy 3 wrote:
A housing estate - either in city or in a town - is best from the point of view of your kids amusing themselves and getting out from under your hair.

I missed it myself growing up. I don't have it either now that I have kids (for various reason) and I feel like they're missing out a bit.

I suppose a housing estate allows you to open the door and let the kids out … but living in the countryside can have the same appeal .. we have a gate in the back garden leading straight out to the fields and the kids come an go as they please through the fields to their friends, beach et .. and usually the dogs go out with them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:01 pm 
Too Big to Fail

It was mentioned before about getting kid away from local bad influences on urban estates but was just chatting with a relative who was relieved when his young lad went away to college and got away from the local gang in the rural area they were living in.

The whole thing can be real pot luck.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?