Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
 Post subject: Re: Rental Costs - Unreal!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:12 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Government policy loads costs onto private landlords who in turn pass these onto renters. Why are people surprised?

Historically rents rarely increased for sitting tennents - they were marked to market when the tenant moved out. Now the majority receive a rent review each year.

Regular maintenance is deferred because landlords are encouraged to do a full refurb at the end of the tenancy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:51 pm 
Homeless

Luan wrote:
Government policy loads costs onto private landlords who in turn pass these onto renters. Why are people surprised?

People generally don't join the dots because they're not interested. Government on the other hand would (should?) be well aware of how their actions/regulations will effect the market. There isn't a good media source in Ireland either that spells out cause and effect.
Luan wrote:
Historically rents rarely increased for sitting tennents - they were marked to market when the tenant moved out. Now the majority receive a rent review each year.

Agreed, the majority probably set a reminder to issue notification to their tenants.
Luan wrote:
Regular maintenance is deferred because landlords are encouraged to do a full refurb at the end of the tenancy.

Yep. Good thing the public demand government do something! :o

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:11 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

temene wrote:

as per other threads on this forum, the techhies are responsible for paying the ultra high rents.
i guess that wia arent part of the gang

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:11 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

E92 335i wrote:
Good thing the public demand government do something! :o

Most people I work with who are most impacted all say they'll continue to vote FG/FF/Labour. Shur what's the alternative - they'd be worse

What will it take to wean Irish people off FF/FG? How can people continue to say they're essentially not happy with how the country has been run for 80+ years yet continue to vote for the same bloody parties?

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:14 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

In regards to voting, what alternatives do they have?

Lab - The cellulite on the arse cheeks of FF an FG
Sinn Fein - most would rather commit hari kari
IA - Shane Ross and that edjit from Waterford have done them great damage. They will be wiped out. To try and encourage change, I voted for the IA guy in my area Sean Canney, he resigned from the IA because of the post sharing issue.
Social Dems - Roisin and Catherine are principled and admirable individuals, we need more like them.
Greens - I want to, but they still have a stink of them, I like some of their ideas around planning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:54 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Thing Fish wrote:
temene wrote:

as per other threads on this forum, the techhies are responsible for paying the ultra high rents.

A bit mad to blame the demand side for a supply side issue. You think they should all sleep in their offices?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:11 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Colm McCarthy in yesterday's Sindo making the link between housing costs and our choice as voters

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:44 pm 
Neo Landlord

Excellent from Colm McCarthy as usual. He has been totally consistent throughout the Celtic tiger years, the bust and now this calamity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:51 pm 
Single Home Owner

Epicurus wrote:
Excellent from Colm McCarthy as usual. He has been totally consistent throughout the Celtic tiger years, the bust and now this calamity.

Unfortunately, housing is an area where Colm does not shine. We've seen the failures of the free market in both directions i.e. massive overbuilding in the boom followed by a total failure to build in the past 10 years but, somehow, Colm always blames the same people: the politicians and the NIMBY locals and, boom or bust, he always proposes the same solution - rezoning. He never asks the broader questions e.g. what kind of development results in liveable communities, what is the relationship between the politicians and the builders? Why did we end up with ghost estates in Longford and why did building grind to a total halt? Yes, there are rolling acres of greenfield sites around the M50 but what would it cost to develop them properly i.e. not just access roads and sewage but schools and public transport and recreation centres? Colm is humming the builders' tune - get the tax payer to fund everything and then clear the way for the builders to cash in.

There is a serious political issue in relying on a free market to develop our cities. The votes of home buyers vastly outnumber those of the builders but, paradoxically, our politicians are beholden to the builders. There is plenty of outrage about the egregious offenders (the Liam Lawlors, the Frank Dunlops, the crowds in the Galway Races Tent) but the systemic problem is rarely discussed and, sadly, Colm McCarthy prefers to ignore it. Ireland is an extreme example perhaps because, at least until the bust, builders and developers were deemed to be members of a rare species, "native entrepreneurs" (not rent-seekers) and, hence, worthy of special protection.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:08 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

muirgheasa wrote:
Thing Fish wrote:
temene wrote:

A bit mad to blame the demand side for a supply side issue. You think they should all sleep in their offices?

Yes, I have suggested that before. its going that way, 98% of new builds in Dublin is office space, one has to wonder where people will live.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:05 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Magpie wrote:
In regards to voting, what alternatives do they have?

I always take the approach of punishing those who have fucked up rather than those I think probably will

FF/FG have shown themselves either inept around housing or balls deep in trying to pump another bubble - they can go fuck themselves

Another alternative is carry on voting for the same clowns but don't come crying to me when they do what they do best - fuck up. the irony is they're not even trying to hide some of the shit they pull these days - they openly admit to what they'll do if returned to power and the turkeys keep voting for Christmas

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:22 am 
Speculator

Thing Fish wrote:

Yes, I have suggested that before. its going that way, 98% of new builds in Dublin is office space, one has to wonder where people will live.

Only this evening I was looking out the DART window at the long tract of public housing between Tara St and GCD and bordered by the river to the north and thinking to myself that it will be inevitably subsumed into the tech-property complex. First to go in some shady public/private deal will be the ancient flats around Pearse St-keep an eye out for deliberate neglect to make way for the developers in 10 or 15 years time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:13 am 
Of Systemic Importance

And no end in sight to the rises

Rents hits record-high as it's now €274 more per month than Celtic Tiger peak
Rent has soared by €200 in some parts of Dublin in just a year
https://www.independent.ie/business/per ... 25104.html
Quote:
The average national cost of renting nationwide in the three months to June was €1,300 a month, a rise of €274 a month on the previous peak, which came just after the boom in 2008. The cost of paying the landlord is now €560 more a month than the low in the rental market seen in late 2011.

Costs have been rising now at double-digit rates for more than two years.

But rents are even higher in Dublin, where there has been an average annual increase of 13.4pc. The cost of renting in the capital is now up almost €500 on a decade ago, a surge of 34pc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:29 pm 
Too Big to Fail

FreeFallin wrote:
And no end in sight to the rises

https://www.independent.ie/business/per ... 25104.html
Quote:
The average national cost of renting nationwide in the three months to June was €1,300 a month, a rise of €274 a month on the previous peak, which came just after the boom in 2008. The cost of paying the landlord is now €560 more a month than the low in the rental market seen in late 2011.

Costs have been rising now at double-digit rates for more than two years.

But rents are even higher in Dublin, where there has been an average annual increase of 13.4pc. The cost of renting in the capital is now up almost €500 on a decade ago, a surge of 34pc.

I thought Simon Coveney had solved this and our homeless problem like he promised back in July 2016, silly me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:08 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

NegativeEquity wrote:

Well done Fine Gael, the great man himself looks on with envy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75