Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5010 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498 ... 501  Next
 Post subject: Re: Britain leaving the European Union.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:07 pm 
IMF'd

Sunny Beach for the win!
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... an-resorts
Quote:
Brexit brings surprise boost for Bulgarian resorts

Fearing the prospect of a plunging pound, travellers are turning to an unlikely destination to make their money go further
>>>

Guess Brent had it right after all :|

The return of the paperwork of the pre-EU days also gets a mention:
Quote:
Beyond the currency fluctuations, a no-deal could result in a series of administrative headaches for travellers. Abta has warned that UK-issued European health insurance cards, which allow EU citizens access to state healthcare in other EU countries, would no longer be valid. Drivers may need to apply for an international driving permit and also carry a physical card issued by their insurance company to show their cover is applicable while abroad.

There would also probably be changes to the documents and health checks required for pets. Rules around roaming for mobile phones would probably change, although some companies have said they will continue to offer the same prices after a no-deal.

As I've said elsewhere, travel between european countries pre-EU involved lots of awkwardness; driving and pets in particular, but one thing not mentioned here - currency. With the UK banks falling out of the single market for banking, will they all have an EPOS/ATM presence? If not, will we see travellers cheques come back? Queues for currency? Without membership of euro settlement, will currency need to be balanced? (Euros to British travellers need to be matched by sterling purchases by eurozone? Could we see a currency crisis?).

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:40 pm 
Too Big to Fail

yoganmahew wrote:
As I've said elsewhere, travel between european countries pre-EU involved lots of awkwardness; driving and pets in particular, but one thing not mentioned here - currency. With the UK banks falling out of the single market for banking, will they all have an EPOS/ATM presence? If not, will we see travellers cheques come back? Queues for currency? Without membership of euro settlement, will currency need to be balanced? (Euros to British travellers need to be matched by sterling purchases by eurozone? Could we see a currency crisis?).

Travelling within the GBP zone is already a hassle when Northern Ireland and Scottish notes in England get knocked back!

Anyway things mightn't be so bad, down at my local north England Tesco last night I saw a bottle of prosecco in the food donation bin.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:25 pm 
Too Big to Fail

yoganmahew wrote:

I don't see why not. I had no difficulty using British and Irish cards in ATMs in the USA.
Daily limits might have been lower, but otherwise they worked fine.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

Post subject: Theresa May says no Brexit more likely than no deal
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:59 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46856149

Prime Minister Theresa May is making a last-ditch attempt to persuade MPs to back her Brexit deal as Tuesday's key Commons vote looms closer.

She will use a speech on Monday to warn that Parliament is more likely to block Brexit than let the UK leave with no deal.

Mrs May will add that trust in politics will suffer "catastrophic harm" if the referendum result is not implemented.

Labour has vowed to table a vote of no confidence if Mrs May loses.

Its leader Jeremy Corbyn said Labour would vote against the deal and would start moves to trigger a general election if it is voted down.

Is this the real backstop?

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:22 am 
IMF'd

Madness of Crowds wrote:
yoganmahew wrote:

I don't see why not. I had no difficulty using British and Irish cards in ATMs in the USA.

Hmmm, I wonder if my memories pre-date ATM cards!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:22 pm 
IMF'd

Leave Tory opinion on supporting May's deal:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... cy-commons
Quote:
Parliament has talked about Brexit for too long. We have so far failed to deliver. This week we have a chance to do so. Yet, instead of respecting the mandate of the British people, many MPs appear intent on overruling it.

What we will probably see on Tuesday with the vote on the withdrawal bill and amendments around it won’t be an example of parliament “taking back control” from Brussels or government, but parliament usurping power from the people they are meant to represent.
>>>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:12 pm 
Too Big to Fail

When UK leaves the EU how much space will be freed up?

1GB!

:lol:

:-GC

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:12 pm 
IMF'd

Boom Boom!
(Are we still allowed Basil Brush? He wasn't found in a foxy threesome with an underage lamb?).

Anyway, no deal = hard deal, at least that's the pressure some in EU are putting on:
https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/011 ... al-brexit/
Quote:
He writes "given that the size of the Brexit bill is small compared to the UK budget (eg in 2020 it is about 1%), but large compared to the EU budget (6.5% in 2020) the EU would justifiably consider the non-honouring of the UK’s financial commitments as a hostile act".

Wolff's advice to the Bundestag and the EU is that they refuse to make concessions to the UK on emergency measures that may be needed after 30 March unless the UK pays the money it owes.
Under what he calls "a more reasonable scenario" - one in which there is no formal deal, but in which the British do pay money and agree to implement many parts of the agreement that has been negotiated - he expects there would be co-operation on a number of "files" including visa rights, co-operation on the Irish border and customs co-operation.

He advises member states, governments and parliaments, as well as the EU institutions, to be ready for no-deal emergency legislative packages, especially in areas where human life may be at risk such as health care and nuclear safety.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 pm 
Too Big to Fail

According to Bloomberg Transferwise has restricted transactions to £10.000 for the next day or so.

Probably a lot of currency speculation going on around the vote. What's it going to be like approaching a hard exit?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:45 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Madness of Crowds wrote:
yoganmahew wrote:

I think the issue will be charges - at the moment if my memory serves me correctly there is a limit on the fee that banks can charge for ATM withdrawals within the Eurozone but there was also an accommodation for the UK on the basis that they were in the EU but not the Eurozone - that means that you didn't get charged very much for withdrawing STG with an EUR card - it wasn't as cheap as an EUR/EUR withdrawal in other EUR countries but there was a limit - I reckon this will be gone now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5010 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498 ... 501  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank