Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Social Housing Costs Thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:20 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

What happened to the social housing project which was built by future tenants and volunteer group with an architect in charge?
What was the final cost?

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:30 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Total of 780 social houses built last year

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... -1.3473178

Quote:
A total of 780 social houses were built across the State last year, according to figures published by the Department of Housing.

The figure, an increase on the 247 built in 2016, brings to 1,027 the number of social houses built since the Government’s Rebuilding Ireland strategy was announced, less than one-fifth of what was promised in the action plan.

Simon Coveney, who was minister for housing at the time of the plan’s publication, said in January last year there would be 13,189 “local authority new builds” during the course of the plan – from 2016 to 2020 – an average of 2,637 per year.

The 1,027 houses figure – an annual average of 513 units – were considerably lower than the 7,000 social homes Minister of State Damien English said had been “built” last year at an event in Cork city earlier this month, and than the 1,014 Minister for Housing Eoghan Murphy last week said had been built in 2017.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm 
Nationalised

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... -1.3418638

Quote:
Dublin’s homeless families will no longer be given homes ahead of other candidates on the social housing waiting list, under new proposals from Dublin City Council.

The council said it intended to stop prioritising homeless families for housing to discourage prolonged stays in emergency accommodation and encourage families to take housing in the private rented sector, using the housing assistance payment.

The change in policy comes in the wake of claims earlier this year by Conor Skehan, chairman of the State’s Housing Agency, that families may be “gaming the system” by declaring themselves homeless to jump up the housing waiting list.

In a new report the council said homeless people were securing housing ahead of people who had waited a “far longer time on the housing list”. Last year, in the region of 45 per cent of new tenancies in the city went to homeless people.

‘Patterns of use’
Research into “patterns of use” of emergency accommodation had shown that families staying for long periods were reluctant to accept any accommodation, except a permanent council house, the council’s head of housing, Brendan Kenny, said.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:06 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I drove past the site in Bray mentioned in the OP the other day (viewtopic.php?p=901793#p901793)

18 months on and the sod is turned but not a foundation even laid yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:51 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

More evidence Conor Skehan was'nt far off the mark with his 'controversial' comments about people gaming the social housing system by declaring themselves homeless

http://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-famil ... 5-Jun2018/
Quote:
HOMELESS FAMILIES WHO remained in emergency accommodation for 12 months or longer in recent years were more likely to secure a social housing home than those who left earlier.

Those who left homelessness earlier were far more likely to secure housing in the private rental sector, more specifically through the Homeless Housing Assistance Payment (HHAP).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:22 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Max rent that Dub City Corpo can charge to any tenant in a Corpo house/apt in their area is €200 pw. Just mentioned on Pat Kenny show now

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:37 am 
Too Big to Fail

A co-op builds houses for cheap in Ballymun
A 2bed sells for €140k, 3beds are €170k and 4beds are €200k - €219k

How?
DCC provided the land cheaply
DCC wavied its development levy (€15k per house)
Profit forgone, except for 5%

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2017/06/ ... elsewhere/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:15 am 
Of Systemic Importance

temene wrote:

How?

I think I'd still rather this model to be the main route used to solve the social housing crisis rather than the LA's building and then renting out themselves

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:04 am 
Private Tenant

temene wrote:

How?

Problem is that its not scale able.

Second problem is that the very poor need rental housing. They cant afford mortgages.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:03 am 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Hundreds of new homes are to be made available to “essential” public sector workers such as doctors and nurses under a government housing model.

Eoghan Murphy, the housing minister, will announce the scheme’s first project at St Michael’s Estate in Inchicore, Dublin, near St James’s Hospital, on Monday. The development, which is expected to include up to 500 homes, is the pilot project for an affordable housing model linked to professions.

You'll need to subscribe to read the full article. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hund ... -jf9t0690x

"Abortion is the only event that modern liberals think too violent and obscene to portray on TV. This is not because they are squeamish or prudish. It is because if people knew what Abortion really looked like, it would destroy their pretence that it is a civilized answer to the problem of what to do about unwanted babies." ~ Peter Hitchen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:40 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Analysis by the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform last week suggests unit costs of about €200k including site quisition:

Estimates of the cost for 2 and 3 bed units through LA direct construction have been provided by DHPLG based on
the construction cost for units delivered between 2016 and 2017, cost guidelines for units in Q4 2017 and the
average tendered costs for units being delivered in 2018. The estimated unit all-in costs (i.e. including land costs
and excluding abnormals) within the analysis range from €175,000 to €195,000 for a 2 bed and €190,000 to
€210,000 for a 3 bed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:14 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Housing association Tuath just bought a block of 23 vacant apartments in Harold's Cross, according to the Irish Times, at a price of €8.75 million

That's €380k per unit of what looks like 2-bed apartments.

It seems to be below build cost too, as their CEO baldly states:

“Buying is less risky than building, although some buildings built during the boom do have legacy issues. I’d sooner buy any day.”

He then goes on to deny that this is pushing up prices for FTBs of course:

He rejects the suggestion that by buying, rather than building he is contributing to pricing first-time buyers out of the market.

“We’re not competing with owner-occupiers, they are not who’s buying the sort of properties we’re going for, these are only being bought up by large funds.”

:x :x :x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:22 am 
Of Systemic Importance

This whole HAP thing is going to blow eventually but the REITs will have made a killing in the interim

Increase in State-funded social tenancies at I-RES REIT
https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0809/98394 ... tenancies/
Quote:
reland's largest private landlord, I-RES REIT, has almost trebled the number of State-funded, social tenancies on its books.
The company, which last week announced profits of €19 million for the first half of this year, confirmed to RTÉ's Morning Ireland that it has 303 tenants receiving a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP).
It equates to 11% of I-RES's total portfolio of rental properties of 2,678.
In 2017, just 4% of the company's properties were rented to State-funded tenants...
...I-RES REIT recently committed to buying 99 units in a new estate in the Hansfield area of west Dublin.
The company has confirmed that of the 26 homes that have been completed and tenanted, 23 have been rented to HAP tenants.
Local Solidarity Councillor Matt Waine estimates that at the current rates of rent inflation the company will have the full cost of the houses repaid in 11 years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:30 pm 
Nationalised

FreeFallin wrote:
This whole HAP thing is going to blow eventually but the REITs will have made a killing in the interim

Increase in State-funded social tenancies at I-RES REIT
https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0809/98394 ... tenancies/
Quote:
Ireland's largest private landlord, I-RES REIT, has almost trebled the number of State-funded, social tenancies on its books.
The company, which last week announced profits of €19 million for the first half of this year, confirmed to RTÉ's Morning Ireland that it has 303 tenants receiving a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP).
It equates to 11% of I-RES's total portfolio of rental properties of 2,678.
In 2017, just 4% of the company's properties were rented to State-funded tenants...

I-RES gets an 'enhanced' HAP from the state if they take people who are in emergency accommodation rather than ordinary decent waiting listers. I think the 'enhanced' HAP is 50% higher for the first 2 years and resets to normal HAP thereafter. This is one story that is set to blow for sure. :(

The 'enhanced' HAP also comes with a full deposit payment in advance and that at a multiple of the 'enhanced' HAP rather than standard HAP. Rent is paid in advance, 2 months in advance AFAIK.

I would think the state pays €2000 a month to I-Res for each of these 'enhanced' HAP tenants in Dublin and I-RES could have as much as €10k in the póca (3 months deposit and 2 months in advance @ €2k a month) before they hand over the keys....BUT....that is still cheaper than a hotel which costs minimum €3k a month.

Nobody has done 2 years on 'enhanced' HAP yet so we don't know what happens at the end, do these people become homeless again. ????

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:41 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

REIT makes an average profit of 8k on each of the their properties.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next