Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:48 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Good article in Irish Times: Nine questions would-be Presidents should answer

As it explains, a lot of the people proposing themselves to County Councils either misunderstand the office and its (lack of) powers or they intend to ignore the Constitution. They are also make pledges about campaigns of various kinds that they'd run while in office (reach out to the diaspora, raise suicide awareness etc.) for which they have no sources of funds.

In fairness, it's quite a hard office to campaign for: you can't really promise to do that much but there's not much you can do. But the current wannabes are helping to distort the public perception of the office and its powers but bringing up migration and social justice issues.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:32 am 
Neo Landlord

Some speculation on Sean O'Rourke show this morning about a possible general election, after the budget, which could be held on 26th October. Polls suggest no particular change in the seat numbers, maybe Leo gets some sort of bounce if his fan club switches over.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:27 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I can't see a GE by late October.

Budget 2019 is on 9 October 2018. The Finance Bill wouldn't be passed for another few weeks.

Would they even have time to dissolve the Dail and call an election?

Also, we'd be luck to have a government by Christmas given how long the last govt formation talks took. Who would go to the crunch November EU summit where Brexit will (probably, finally) crystalise?

Sorry, just don't see how that would work. Suits most parties to keep current arrangement until next year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:30 pm 
Old Time Landlord

We must speak truth to power and stop promoting failed systems. Such as not making guilty people innocent. There must be accountability and transparency in our social legal and justice systems. We have all seen the fallout of the banking systems, the vulture buyouts,the lack of anyone taking responsibility for anything. Is Gemma O'Doherty correct in her dealings of complete media collusion in the yes yes scenarios, and a complete loss of logical thinking for enlightened people about issues of importance for social wellbeing and law and order. Could a president do more in the line of guidance and the well being of a nation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:11 am 
Under CAB Investigation

maryocarol wrote:
We must speak truth to power and stop promoting failed systems. Such as not making guilty people innocent. There must be accountability and transparency in our social legal and justice systems. We have all seen the fallout of the banking systems, the vulture buyouts,the lack of anyone taking responsibility for anything. Is Gemma O'Doherty correct in her dealings of complete media collusion in the yes yes scenarios, and a complete loss of logical thinking for enlightened people about issues of importance for social wellbeing and law and order. Could a president do more in the line of guidance and the well being of a nation.

What role does the President have in addressing this issues (the guilty being acquitted; banking collapses and vulture funds)?

How could the President guide the courts, for example?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Duffy secures four nominations to enter Áras race

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0 ... -election/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 pm 
Property Magnate

can someone tell me why a lad who put himself on dragons den and presented himself as a successful business man needed to mortgage his house to pay for an aras run?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 pm 
IMF'd

cyrusir wrote:
can someone tell me why a lad who put himself on dragons den and presented himself as a successful business man needed to mortgage his house to pay for an aras run?

Perhaps the same thing that makes him think he's a successful businessman makes him think he's going to get elected.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:03 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Liadh Ní Riada is the Sinn Fein candidate. She has been an MEP since 2014, has never run for Dail Eireann. Despite what the shinnerbots are saying, I can't see her challenging - she'll do well to get 20%. Maybe she is a fantastic speaker, but I just can't see it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I doubt the Shinners expect her to win. It's more about increasing her profile and that of SF ahead of the next general election

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:54 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:
I doubt the Shinners expect her to win. It's more about increasing her profile and that of SF ahead of the next general election

So if these guys get their way the Presidency becomes like the Seanad with stronger Poetry/Cultural links (or without the latter if Sean Gallagher gets in)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:56 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Liadh ni Carpetbagger who joined SF in 2012 ? Give me a break.

The whole process needs to be relentlessly made fun of. Someone should propose that because of the obesity crisis all the candidates should show their commitment to tackling this by collectively doing the assault course on Ireland's Fittest Family.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 am 
IMF'd

GameBlame wrote:

The whole process needs to be relentlessly made fun of. Someone should propose that because of the obesity crisis all the candidates should show their commitment to tackling this by collectively doing the assault course on Ireland's Fittest Family.

:D

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:44 am 
Under CAB Investigation

yoganmahew wrote:
GameBlame wrote:

:D

I concur. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 am 
Too Big to Fail

In fairness, Liadh Ní Riada came 2nd in South in 2014 Euro elections with 19.1% of vote
She won't win, but will do well

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next