Post subject: Re: Greystones gone mad??
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:39 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Greystones is the best location in Wicklow.

It is beside the sea, has very nice surroundings, has a semi-regular train, and has nice retail.

Important for some, it has almost no social housing.

The traffic at peak hour is a drag, but if you are not a regular commuter it really is a very nice place to live.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:24 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Skippy 3 wrote:
Greystones is the best location in Wicklow.

It is beside the sea, has very nice surroundings, has a semi-regular train, and has nice retail.

Important for some, it has almost no social housing.

The traffic at peak hour is a drag, but if you are not a regular commuter it really is a very nice place to live.

Social housing in Kindlestown

"If you were to mention to grown-ups: 'Ive seen a beautiful house built with pink bricks, with geraniums on the windowsills and doves on the roof....' they would not be able to imagine such a house. You would have to say to them: 'I saw a house worth a hundred thousand pounds'. Then they would exclaim: 'Oh! How lovely.'"

(Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:41 am 
Property Magnate

bilbot79 wrote:
Is it just me or does this price not make any sense? Ok it's close to the dart and village but 640 for a 120sqm gaff that could really do with an extension. Sold in 2010 for 385, today asking 640. Can this be justified?

https://m.myhome.ie/residential/brochur ... ow/4269185

That house ticks a lot of boxes for a lot of people who have enough money to buy it.
Nice house (though a dormer, not a proper 2 storey), good sized back garden, green in front for the kids when they grow up a bit, short walk from the many cafes on the main street etc etc.

And "no skangers".
So for the better off who want to be insulated from the lower orders, it's a good choice. All the neighbours will be "nice".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:42 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Mantach wrote:
bilbot79 wrote:
Is it just me or does this price not make any sense? Ok it's close to the dart and village but 640 for a 120sqm gaff that could really do with an extension. Sold in 2010 for 385, today asking 640. Can this be justified?

https://m.myhome.ie/residential/brochur ... ow/4269185

That house ticks a lot of boxes for a lot of people who have enough money to buy it.
Nice house (though a dormer, not a proper 2 storey), good sized back garden, green in front for the kids when they grow up a bit, short walk from the many cafes on the main street etc etc.

And "no skangers".
So for the better off who want to be insulated from the lower orders, it's a good choice. All the neighbours will be "nice".

Greystones is utter chinos n' cargoshorts-with-brogues dullsville. Has been for a long time but now with whatever character it had gone (the "beachfront" is a horror show in concrete). Plenty of development going on all round the perimeter of the town and more to come. There's only so much queuing-for-quiche space outside the Happy Pair.

Sure, it's safe but the teens will just want out as soon as they can. My early 20's niece and nephew absolutely hate the place, realising that they missed out on actual life for all those safe years.

There's virtually nothing of substance in the village - it's a consumer strip for day trippers more than anything else. Little by way of amenities around. The DART service is shite and buses virtually non-existent. Car commuting: nevermind the N11, you've to get out of Greystones first.

Greystones is the residential equivilent of Magnolia paint. Safe, boring and loved by many.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:31 pm 
Neo Landlord

york wrote:
Greystones is utter chinos n' cargoshorts-with-brogues dullsville. Has been for a long time but now with whatever character it had gone (the "beachfront" is a horror show in concrete). Plenty of development going on all round the perimeter of the town and more to come. There's only so much queuing-for-quiche space outside the Happy Pair.

Sure, it's safe but the teens will just want out as soon as they can. My early 20's niece and nephew absolutely hate the place, realising that they missed out on actual life for all those safe years.

There's virtually nothing of substance in the village - it's a consumer strip for day trippers more than anything else. Little by way of amenities around. The DART service is shite and buses virtually non-existent. Car commuting: nevermind the N11, you've to get out of Greystones first.

Greystones is the residential equivilent of Magnolia paint. Safe, boring and loved by many.

wow - tell us how you really feel.

anyway here's a cheaper bigger option in the same estate: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... ow/4264800

the house in the OP is way overpriced.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:56 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Is there anywhere expensive that isn't dull? I mean expensive relative to location. I've heard the same sorts of criticisms directed at Ranelagh, for instance.

Young single people give life to a place, but if they're priced out it's inevitably going to be "chinos and cargo shorts" or whatever.

I guess there's Bray if you're looking for relative excitement, i.e. gun crime and drunk people urinating on the street. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:28 pm 
Neo Landlord

Eschatologist wrote:
Is there anywhere expensive that isn't dull? I mean expensive relative to location. I've heard the same sorts of criticisms directed at Ranelagh, for instance.

Young single people give life to a place, but if they're priced out it's inevitably going to be "chinos and cargo shorts" or whatever.

I guess there's Bray if you're looking for relative excitement, i.e. gun crime and drunk people urinating on the street. :D

It's actually a pretty busy spot - yes there's a lot of daytrippers and coffeeshops, but there's generally a bit of a buzz around the village and the harbour (certainly compared to when I was growing up and it was fairly sleepy).

It's true there isn't much nightlife if you're 18-30, but it is right beside the sea and mountains so good for leisure activities. There's also a Dart and Nitelink into town.

Everyone has their own preferences but there's a reason it's the most expensive town to buy in outside of Dublin, people want to live there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:46 pm 
Too Big to Fail

shweeney wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:

It's actually a pretty busy spot - yes there's a lot of daytrippers and coffeeshops, but there's generally a bit of a buzz around the village and the harbour (certainly compared to when I was growing up and it was fairly sleepy).

It's true there isn't much nightlife if you're 18-30,

If you're 18-30, you're probably a bit of an immature fool and your opinion can be safely discounted. :wink:

(I've held this opinion since at least when I was 19 and had gained some familiarity with my peers. I still reckon we should all be grown in tanks and not let loose on the world until we're about 35. Of course, reactionary senility sets in very soon after that. :lol: :twisted: )

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,