Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank » Supply Demand Demand Supply » Population

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tánaiste Simon Covney Confirms 500,000 migrants for Irel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 pm 
Private Tenant

propertyspire wrote:
HiFi wrote:
So...according to the Justice Minister, the Direct Provision system is at breaking point. How on earth are more arrivals going to be facilitated?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a ... 05778.html
Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan said the service was operating at "full capacity" and "authorities are stretched".
"The issue of direct provision is a significant challenge and I accept the current regime is far from ideal"

I.e. their approach is a clear failure. Cases Should be decided within a few months not 10+ years. Better all round

It is my understanding that all asylum cases are decided by the Department of Justice in a matter of weeks.

However, decisions adverse to the asylum seeker are appealed through the courts, JRed etc. That adds years to the process.

As departments don't provide details of individual cases, the field is left open to the pro-immigrant advocacy groups to shape the narrative in the media that if only the Dept of Justice got its finger out this would all be sorted.

One case we have details of is Pamela Izevbekhai's asylum claim because she went public. The Department's case worker rejected her asylum application in the mid-2000s, she appealed, in 2009 the Guards found factual evidence that her claim for asylum was fraudulent, yet still her case was only finished in the courts in 2011 allowing her to be deported. All the while there was a vocal media campaign for her to stay. It cost the state over €1m.

The International Protection Act was passed in 2015 to tidy up the administrative aspects of asylum processing but there's a limit to how fast cases can be decided when the legal system allows ample opportunity for delays.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:08 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

D4000 wrote:
It cost the state over €1m.

It cost the taxpayer 370k. The rest was unpaid legal bills.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:42 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Had the state lost the case, would they (& the taxpayer by extension) also have been liable for the €700,000?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:32 am 
Of Systemic Importance

snaps wrote:
Had the state lost the case, would they (& the taxpayer by extension) also have been liable for the €700,000?

Not sure. I think I read that there were five legal firms involved. Presumably they were banking on a payout.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:03 am 
Real Estate Developer

Taoiseach says visit to Ethiopia changed his perspective on refugee camps
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/taoiseach-says-visit-to-ethiopia-changed-his-perspective-on-refugee-camps-1.3755199

Quote:
“I think we also need to understand public concerns about migration. The biggest political mistake some people made across Europe is to be dismissive of people who have concerns about migration.

“They have concerns about the increasing impact migration has on housing for example, the impact on the health and education systems, particularly when there are a lot of kids in school who do not have English as a first language. They will have concerns about security and crime.

'Irish concerns can't be dismissed - migration is not just responding to crises,' insists Taoiseach [paywalled]
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i ... 04053.html

Quote:
The best thing we can do is bring our experience in the European Union to Africa. Africa is an enormous continent and potentially wealthy. If we can get Africa right, we won't need to see millions of people leaving their homes and trying to cross the Mediterranean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:01 am 
Under CAB Investigation

What hotelier in their right mind would want to do this? Unless they were located in some God-forsaken midlands backwater. The locals could be unforgiving as it can affect business in a small town and put pressure on local state services. Anyway - I predict this will become an even bigger issue in the coming months.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... -1.3758058
The Department of Justice has issued an urgent call for expressions of interest from hotels and guest houses willing to provide emergency full-board accommodation for asylum seekers for up to six months.

The call-out, which appeared on the Reception and Integration Agency (RIA) website and as an advertisement in The Irish Times on Monday, said it was seeking temporary housing as an “interim measure” to meet the “urgent and increase demand for accommodation” for asylum seekers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:02 am 
Nationalised

HiFi wrote:
What hotelier in their right mind would want to do this? Unless they were located in some God-forsaken midlands backwater. The locals could be unforgiving as it can affect business in a small town and put pressure on local state services. Anyway - I predict this will become an even bigger issue in the coming months.

The Department of Justice has issued an urgent call for expressions of interest from hotels and guest houses willing to provide emergency full-board accommodation for asylum seekers for up to six months.

The call-out, which appeared on the Reception and Integration Agency (RIA) website and as an advertisement in The Irish Times on Monday, said it was seeking temporary housing as an “interim measure” to meet the “urgent and increase demand for accommodation” for asylum seekers.

I wonderz does fire insurance becomes null and void if you express an interest as a hotelier because if it doesn't this could be seen as a nice little earner. :x

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:19 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Open Window wrote:
HiFi wrote:

I wonderz does fire insurance becomes null and void if you express an interest as a hotelier because if it doesn't this could be seen as a nice little earner. :x

LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:01 pm 
Old Time Landlord

D4000 wrote:
It is my understanding that all asylum cases are decided by the Department of Justice in a matter of weeks.

However, decisions adverse to the asylum seeker are appealed through the courts, JRed etc. That adds years to the process.

As departments don't provide details of individual cases, the field is left open to the pro-immigrant advocacy groups to shape the narrative in the media that if only the Dept of Justice got its finger out this would all be sorted.

One case we have details of is Pamela Izevbekhai's asylum claim because she went public. The Department's case worker rejected her asylum application in the mid-2000s, she appealed, in 2009 the Guards found factual evidence that her claim for asylum was fraudulent, yet still her case was only finished in the courts in 2011 allowing her to be deported. All the while there was a vocal media campaign for her to stay. It cost the state over €1m.

The International Protection Act was passed in 2015 to tidy up the administrative aspects of asylum processing but there's a limit to how fast cases can be decided when the legal system allows ample opportunity for delays.

The government fund most of these to some extent, why fund them if they are going to spin it like this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:03 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

owenm wrote:
The government fund most of these to some extent, why fund them if they are going to spin it like this?

A lot of them are co-funded by the EU, our Govt and the likes of Soros/Feeney.
The Govt have to be seen to be supporting these groups or else they'll get a kicking in Brussels (and Leo certainly will never countenance that) as well as criticism from the various UN bodies in Switzerland who regularly issue reports on this,that and t'other in Ireland

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank » Supply Demand Demand Supply » Population